Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 458 socom

458 socom

I saw recently that in the states some hunters use a 458 socom for boar/hogs in the south and says it knocks them clean over every time just wondered if anyone here had one or experience of this calibre?

looks very slow and loopy
    wouldn't want to have to learn that trajectory

Would it be subsonic?? Could be great with a moderator if it was

The point of the 458 SOCOM round, was as a large-diameter option for the AR15/M16 & M4 platforms

The OAL length is also therefore compatible with the NATO-STANAG mag. well & the M16 magazine

No reason why it'd not work...and it seems to be popular...though in the UK we're limited to straight-pull rifles of the original platform for the 458 - so have better options available without the added logistic burden that assembling an AR15 type rifle would entail

I can see that a moderated one of these in a semi-auto would be a great short range gun

Yes fully moderated in straight pull for boar & driven boar maybe custom on the new browning st pull is an idea?Subsonic rounds if needed
    Last edited by CWMMAN3738; 10-05-2013 at 16:01.

It’s not a cartridge I have ever heard of before so I just looked it up. As Saddler mentions it was originally intended as a military short range fight stopper for use in AR platforms often moderated rifles. The ballistics are not that impressive, I think I’d rather have a 9.3x74r for boar myself.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by CWMMAN3738 View Post
    Yes fully moderated in straight pull for boar & driven boar maybe custom on the new browning st pull is an idea?Subsonic rounds if needed
    It shares the rim size with .308, .243 etc.

A Browning BLR re-barreled to 458 would be a nice quick operating unit - though they already offer one in 450 Marlin - so possibly not a great difference in ballistics between the two.

I'll stick with the Win. 94 in 45 Colt if I ever get a chance to do any pig shooting...

Yes m8 got a .375H&H for boar at the moment just curious? You know thinking about the future toys I could have when I win the lotto
    Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    It’s not a cartridge I have ever heard of before so I just looked it up. As Saddler mentions it was originally intended as a military short range fight stopper for use in AR platforms often moderated rifles. The ballistics are not that impressive, I think I’d rather have a 9.3x74r for boar myself.

Quote Originally Posted by saddler View Post
    It shares the rim size with .308, .243 etc.

A Browning BLR re-barreled to 458 would be a nice quick operating unit - though they already offer one in 450 Marlin - so possibly not a great difference in ballistics between the two.

I'll stick with the Win. 94 in 45 Colt if I ever get a chance to do any pig shooting...

I wouldn't. Not a bad pistol cartridge and possibly O.K. for despatching at close range but get a decent rifle calibre for boar.

Cwmman you've got the right idea with the .375 after all you can always load it down a bit.
    Last edited by 8x57; 10-05-2013 at 16:26.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

No if I left my beloved .375 it would be for the romance of a double maybe a blaser in 9.3x74 but I was curious as it seemed a good close range knock down tool for driven boar as it shoots 500gr soft points well up to 100yds I'm told, be great if we could have semi's tho haha