Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade tumbler

Regular Poster

Homemade tumbler

Inspired by Monkey Spanker's recent homemade sticks thread I thought I'd share my homemade tumbler which I've just finished making from an old printer. Please note, I haven't actually used it yet but plan to update the thread or the tumbler as required. I'll post photos below which are self explanatory. The idea's not mine, I took it from YouTube but I have made my own adjustments. The build cost me 50p for the mdf which I got from the off-cuts section at B&Q. The printer I picked up at the local skip and the waterproof tub is a fitness supplement container I pilfered from my brother. The 12v battery is off my pigeon magnet but it now runs off an old 16v laptop plug which gives it proper grunt. I'll let you know how I get on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starter.png 
Views:	186 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	28139Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumbler 1.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	28138Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumbler 2.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	480.9 KB 
ID:	28140Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumbler 3.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	380.3 KB 
ID:	28141Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumbler 4.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	412.8 KB 
ID:	28142Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumbler 5.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	398.7 KB 
ID:	28143

Looks great, hope the motor is up to the task...as the drum may be on the heavy side once the brass & media are in it

Will await your results with interest

Looks good. Up till now ive been putting my empties into a rucksack with some media. I then get my epileptic dad to wear the rucksack and expose him to flashing lights. Voila.

Quote Originally Posted by pete evans View Post
    Looks good. Up till now ive been putting my empties into a rucksack with some media. I then get my epileptic dad to wear the rucksack and expose him to flashing lights. Voila.

Quote Originally Posted by Foss View Post
    Inspired by Monkey Spanker's recent homemade sticks thread I thought I'd share my homemade tumbler which I've just finished making from an old printer. Please note, I haven't actually used it yet but plan to update the thread or the tumbler as required. I'll post photos below which are self explanatory. The idea's not mine, I took it from YouTube but I have made my own adjustments. The build cost me 50p for the mdf which I got from the off-cuts section at B&Q. The printer I picked up at the local skip and the waterproof tub is a fitness supplement container I pilfered from my brother. The 12v battery is off my pigeon magnet but it now runs off an old 16v laptop plug which gives it proper grunt. I'll let you know how I get on.

Wunderkind!

I have been thinking of doing something similar not got anywhere as near as far you, in fact I have got no further than
    liberating a dishwasher motor to power it.

Quote Originally Posted by Foss View Post

Is this going to be a wet or dry tumbler?

I have the STM wet system and I tell ya... when that tub has media, brass and water in it, it is damned heavy... the motor supplied with the unit is 1/3 of a horse power! Not sure that a printer motor will cut it, particularly when you thing they are not designed for 3-4 hours constant duty cycles. The build looks fantastic and my hat is off to you but I would be inclined to scavenge a motor with a little more grunt maybe?
    Well done though

Regular Poster
    I intend it to be a wet one using steel pins. I agree with the concerns about the size of the motor but, before deciding to go ahead with the wood, I filled the tub with 150 brass and water and ran it for over an hour to see if it would cope. It was absolutely fine and so then I vamped it up to 16v so the speed was better and still OK. I think the belt onto the second bar helps. My thoughts were that I would only do 50 brass at a time and so reduce the weight of pins required. This printer was much bigger than the others and had a particularly big motor but I've got lots of spares in case (although I'm using one of them tomorrow to make a homemade fox mojo decoy, along with old speaker cable, the pigeon magnet battery again and I'll be on the look out for some old furry toy!!). If this thing burns out it won't be the end of the world but if it doesn't then cleaning brass will have never been so much fun.

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by pete evans View Post
    Ha! Up until now I have mostly been been putting my empties into something called a Beko.