Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Larder Solutions !!

Small Larder Solutions !!

After out-growing a couple of drinks chillers and then a double-door commercial stainless chiller, I set about a solution to my needs given that I had limited space and needed to deal with well over 100 deer per year, including some rather large ones!
    First step was to buy an old walk-in chiller box which cost me £280 but had no chiller unit. It wasn’t huge but fit neatly into the corner of my garage. The external dimensions are 1.8m long, 1.2m wide but only 2m tall ! The height was my biggest concern!
    I managed to secure 50% funding from the East of England Wild Venison Project to purchase the Monoblock chiller unit, Stainless Trestle, Scales and an Elecric hoist. That got me up and running!
    My next concern was that the unit would struggle to support the weight of several heavy deer.
    My solution was to build an external frame over the chiller which could take the weight. I managed to get some 4”x2” Aluminium box section which was ideal (and free!). Next came the dilemma of how best to use the available hanging space. I decided that a ‘race-track’ shape design would be best and would also help to access particular animals. This would then be secured to the external frame through the roof. I looked at various rail systems and track runners but they all took up valuable vertical space. My solution was to secure the rail from below, thus keeping the actual hanging point as high as possible. I have a couple of friends who are pretty good with steel fabrication which helped!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4997.jpg 
Views:	619 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	28144Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0159.jpg 
Views:	627 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	28145Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0160.jpg 
Views:	614 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	28146
    So far so good, but I also had a problem with lifting large beasts on my own. Extending the external frame gave me somewhere to attach the hoist and lift, but I still had to somehow get the beast through the door and onto the hanging rail. I ran out of inspiration for a while and coped by wheeling large animals into the chiller on the tressle, but I could only really cope with one at a time.

Name:	100_4995.jpg 
Views:	612 
Size:	401.2 KB 
ID:	28147Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4996.jpg 
Views:	660 
Size:	312.1 KB 
ID:	28148
    (Note the chest spreaders which are standard plastic waste pipe cut at 45 dgree angles - very cheap and dishwashable!)

After much pondering, a removal slide-rail idea came along! Local friend was again tasked with the production of some rather snazzy slide hooks! The rail is supported by the
    externalframe leg and slides out so that the door can be closed after use .

Name:	IMAG0158.jpg 
Views:	564 
Size:	230.8 KB 
ID:	28149Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0156.jpg 
Views:	551 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	28150Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0232.jpg 
Views:	556 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	28153Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0231.jpg 
Views:	478 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	28154

The ultimate test of the finished article came in the form of a 45 stone red stag which was still 300 lb larder weight! The clever bit here is to hang a larger animal by the pelvic bone and not the hocks which saves an awful lot of height required.

Name:	IMAG0154.jpg 
Views:	585 
Size:	222.4 KB 
ID:	28151Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0155.jpg 
Views:	591 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	28152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0152.jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	28155Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0151.jpg 
Views:	606 
Size:	276.5 KB 
ID:	28156Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0149.jpg 
Views:	536 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	28157
    So there you have it! You don't necessarily need a huge game larder to deal with large deer.
    Just a bit of thought and determination!

MS

Nice, looks like you've cleaned the rest of the garage up as well!

Proper job. Well done !

ATB

Stewarty

Superb set up
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

Top stuff!

How did you manage the biggest challenge that is complient drainage?

Cheers

K

You have done a really good job there, I also use pipe as a chest spreader, only thing and its not a criticism is hanging by the pelvic bone my gamedealer will not except animals which have not had the aitch bone split.

What arrangements have you made for drainage like you my chill unit is in an out building though its considerable bigger than yours, my big problem is drainage a big enough trap etc.

can i ask what you need to do with drainage as i want to set a larder up ,you have done an exellent job there, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

There is no drainage as it is a self contained unit!
    Animals are bled and gralloched out in the field. Some blood inevitably drips out but is caught in tomato grow-bag type trays. This can be left to dry and used on the garden or just washed out. Dried blood can be bought as a fertiliser!
    It is very minimal anyway. Deer Dog trainers are also keen to collect! Any minor spilled is a mop and bucket job! Council are happy!
    Last edited by Monkey Spanker; 10-05-2013 at 16:24.

As I understand it you cannot simply discharge to sewer via either the foul or (understandably) rainwater outlets from a dwelling. The solution, according to a BDS Training Manager, is a sceptic tank.

That's all I know so chapter & verse greatly appreciated please.

I guess this comes under several Local Authority Controls in England, Wales and Scotland but again only guessing.

Cheers

K

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    You have done a really good job there, I also use pipe as a chest spreader, only thing and its not a criticism is hanging by the pelvic bone my gamedealer will not except animals which have not had the aitch bone split.

What arrangements have you made for drainage like you my chill unit is in an out building though its considerable bigger than yours, my big problem is drainage a big enough trap etc.
    That's a Scottish trait I'm afraid! There is no reason for him not to, as a carcass can chill properly without it. Splitting the aitch in the field is more likely to increase chances of contamination IMHO! But then, I'm just an AW so what do I know! The meat does 'set' a little different if hung this way also.
    You could always find another game dealer or store horizontally?
    MS