Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Aid Required.

First Aid Required.

This is just a general observation and not aimed at anyone. Having read one or two adverts on here and elsewhere for syndicate places I see a few are asking that you have first aid all we'll and good however all the first aid courses I've done have been to administer first aid on others,not very helpful when stalking is predominantly carried out alone. Two I've not yet been on a course that does anything but tell you not to use torniquay???? Sorry for spelling. However I know of at least one stalker whos life was saved this year by their use when he slipped with his knife and went through his wrist. Lose a hand or bleed to death he chose to lose his hand and is still here as is his hand as it happens. I've also never been taken through dealing with self inflicted gun shot wounds either ona first aid course.
    cheers kieran

Yes Kieran you are correct in what you say but it will become the requirement that we have the Emergency First Aid at Work certificate. The Red Cross do the course it's one day costs 130-00 and lasts for three years.

Jimbo

If you were in the military and deploying you would have done a course covering the use of tourniquets and may have been issued with one of these too http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Military-L...item5af127ea6a Not many civvy first aid courses in the UK need to be too concerned with gun shot wounds but after this http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/h...ident.21027159 maybe we should all carry a good tourniquet?
    All the best Baguio

I would think most of us already carry tourniquets without even knowing it!
    Binocular strap, trouser belt, rifle sling, dog lead, drag rope, bore snake, pull-through, etc.....
    Anything you can put around a limb, put a stick through, twist and tighten. Job done!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    I would think most of us already carry tourniquets without even knowing it!
    Binocular strap, trouser belt, rifle sling, dog lead, drag rope, bore snake, pull-through, etc.....
    Anything you can put around a limb, put a stick through, twist and tighten. Job done!
    MS
    Agreed MS and I'm surprised that the poor guy bled out without someone getting something good and tight around his leg to stop the bleeding. However, these military issue tourniquets are very good and can be applied one handed quite easily. They're also very light and handy to carry in your bum bag. Not necessarily so easy to apply one of the diy ones that you describe to yourself and tight enough to stop the bleeding when in a panic, in pain and going faint!

Jimbo I have Emergency First Aid at work but it is by its very nature very generic and has little relevence to a stalker as you are mostly a sole worker inessence. As i say the wound i'm bothered about when out on my own is one with massive blood lose. I have tampons and pads plus a tourniquet in my stalking first aid along with the usual suspects

Kieran

just done my offshore first aid refresher and was advised that applying a tourniquet is no longer recognized and shouldn't be done! only direct pressure and/or elevation this has changed since my last refresher 3 years ago when it was still used! but apparently they are reviewing the first aid procedures again and are on about re-introducing it! so i would suggest anybody thinking about doing first aid should do a course and learn the limitations of first aid because even saving someones life at the cost of a limb could end you up getting a no win no fee case against you!!

We used to get taught the same in the military, that a tourniquet should never be used! (Theory being that toxins build up on other side and are then released around body when tourniquet is removed).
    However, if you've already lost a limb or would die anyway from loss of blood, quite frankly, what have you got to lose other than your life? The military now issue them! Trying to stop arterial bleeding with direct pressure and elevation on your own would be as much use as plugging the hole in the Titanic with your arse!
    MS

[QUOTE= Trying to stop arterial bleeding with direct pressure and elevation on your own would be as much use as plugging the hole in the Titanic with your arse!
    MS[/QUOTE]
    couldn't agree more!
    ​ like i say they are on about re-introducing it again and personally if the situation required a tourniquet i for one would apply one!

I have said it many times on here - you can stop almost any blood loss with pressure. I've dealt with a number of severed femoral arteries.

You are better getting pressure on the wound than faffing about with a tourniquet. They are not really designed for self application. Too much faffing about. You'll lose a lot of blood finding it, setting it etc.

Pressure, pressure, pressure.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.