Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help needed?

Help needed?

Hi all just looking some help regarding reloading I am new to reloading and seem to be having some problems with resizing the brass. I am reloading for a .22-250 and when I am removing the spent primer and resizing the neck I can't get the neck resized to the correct size It always seems to be to big and the bullet head is very loose. A few times I have got the neck tight and when I put a head into it, it will push down into the brass with very little force. Hope someone can help.

Quote Originally Posted by oman View Post
    Hi all just looking some help regarding reloading I am new to reloading and seem to be having some problems with resizing the brass. I am reloading for a .22-250 and when I am removing the spent primer and resizing the neck I can't get the neck resized to the correct size It always seems to be to big and the bullet head is very loose. A few times I have got the neck tight and when I put a head into it, it will push down into the brass with very little force. Hope someone can help.
    What dies? I'm guessing Lee Collet Dies?? If so, screw the die in more until you get the neck tension you want.~Muir

Hi it is the lee collet set of dies and I have the die screwed down fully to the nut. Has anyone had a problem like this before.

Hi it is the lee collet set of dies and I have the die screwed down fully to the nut. Has anyone had a problem like this before.
    Not sure what this means. But in almost every post of this sort it's because the die isn't screwed in far enough. You should feel resistance when you hit the top of the ram stroke.~Muir

Hi i have the nut twisted all the way down to the end of the thread and there is no pressure against it?

Are you seeing the collet push in to the body of the die? As the shell holder contacts the collet it should push the collet up into the body. Lee recommend that the die is screwed in until it contacts the shell holder, then an additional two full turns....

Hi i have the nut twisted all the way down to the end of the thread and there is no pressure against it?
    I'm still confused as to the 'nut' reference. The collet dies have a threaded cap that is never adjusted. The die body is adjusted to the shell holder and then some as TomD said, then locked with the locking nut when the right position is found.~Muir

Is this nut you refer to on the threads of the die, the ones you use to screw it into the press?

If so then you can screw this nut up the threads and that will allow the die to screw further into the press. The idea is that you screw this nut up the threads, get the position of the die correct, and the tighten the nut up to hold the die firm in the press. This means you start with the nut well up the threads so it doesn't interfere in the process of setting the die correctly,
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    Is this nut you refer to on the threads of the die, the ones you use to screw it into the press?

If so then you can screw this nut up the threads and that will allow the die to screw further into the press. The idea is that you screw this nut up the threads, get the position of the die correct, and the tighten the nut up to hold the die firm in the press. This means you start with the nut well up the threads so it doesn't interfere in the process of setting the die correctly,
    I tried not to go there. ~Muir (Lord. Tell me is isn't so...)

Have a read of the die instructions again and don't forget that the collet die is adjusted quite differently to the full length die. It's surprising how often this subject has come up in the past and it's usually a simple question of reading the die instructions properly. If you don't have or have lost the set up instructions they can be downloaded from the Lee Precision website.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.