Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Register as a Blood Donor

Register as a Blood Donor

I kicked off a thread Register as an Organ Donor recently, and Monkey Spanker correctly pointed out that we should also look at becoming Blood Donors.

To that end:
    Give Blood - do something amazing give Blood

I've been donating blood for about 25 years now, and as a bloke can donate every 12 weeks. Being O+, it's the least rare blood, and with 21,000 units in stock, makes up 38% of current stock. However, that's less than 10 days stock... The National Blood Service - See how much blood we have in stock

There was a mate of mine that was AB- and very proud that his blood was so rare until I pointed out that he was in real trouble if he was hit, as there was the square route of b*gger all around...

It might seem trite, but all my stalking kit is marked up O+, just in case... I want anyone to know what to pour into me without hesitation!

Someone, somewhere saved my now late-Father on 8 occasions, and many friends and family over the years. Without these anonymous donors, my life would now be as it is now, so I thank you...
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

A couple of years ago I was suddenly able to give blood! (My previous career didn't allow me to!)
    Off I went on a Friday evening to give my normal unit of A Positive. Phoned my stalking buddy the next day to see if he was up for a trip out only to find that he had been rushed to hospital in the early hours with a Aortic Anurism which is basically where your Aorta (main artery from your heart!) swells up and eventually bursts into your abdomen!
    He was given a 5-10% chance of survival. They weren't even going to bother to operate at first, but because he was a relativley fit and active builder aged 63 they tried.
    He had a very long operation where they managed to get through 44 UNITS of blood!

Thankfully, he is still with us and is still a regular stalking buddy!

I jokingly said that he probably had my blood from the previous evening.

It actually turned out that he probably did as it is screened straight away for use, he was also A+ !!!

Give blood!

MS

Regular Poster
    Good shout. It's so easy and costs you nothing. Nice nurses give you yummy cakes afterwards too!
    Last edited by Foss; 11-05-2013 at 22:04. Reason: can't spell

And any half decent employer will let you do it on work time....

Quote Originally Posted by steerpike View Post
    And of a decent size with a car park, will even bring the blood wagon to you...
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by steerpike View Post
    I wish.

Mine is blue WATP!!

SD Regular
    I used to give blood but do not do so anymore.

The reason is that I became aware that the blood that I gave free was being SOLD by the NHS Blood Transfusion Service both to UK hospitals and to overseas health services.

I would ask if this is still the case? Apparently it appears so:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11038849

Well, I am very grateful to all that Donate, I had a transfusion of 4 pints after an internal hemorrhage a couple of years ago, the only down side is I cannot donate blood anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    I used to give blood but do not do so anymore.

The reason is that I became aware that the blood that I gave free was being SOLD by the NHS Blood Transfusion Service both to UK hospitals and to overseas health services.

I would ask if this is still the case? Apparently it appears so:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11038849
    NHS Blood and and Transplant Service charge the various users of the products which they collect and supply, because that's how they fund the process of collecting and processing them. It might seem slightly schizophrenic for different parts of the state to be trading commodities with each other, but that's just how certain things are funded - there aren't fat-cat shareholders getting rich selling on donated blood.

That BBC news article doesn't say anything about blood donated here in the UK being sent overseas, but really, so what if it is? Donated blood has a fairly short shelf life, once it's been donated it needs to be used or the donation will have been wasted....