Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cartridges or rounds of amunition NOT Bullets

cartridges or rounds of amunition NOT Bullets

Bullets, If you look them up in the dictionary or any reloading manual, are the copper clad or pure lead missiles that leave the cartridge case and travel down the barrel propelled by the gasses produced by the burning propellant, which, has been ignited by the primer that was struck by the firing pin in the bolt of your rifle. Collectively these four components: bullet, case, propellant, and primer, when assembled, form what is known as a round of ammunition, or better still; a cartridge, they are most definitely not bullets. You could say: "I'm seating the bullets in a batch of ammunition" or "I'm seating the bullets in a batch of cartridges".
    I frequently hear this problematic terminology being repeated by 2 people I know who shoot centerfire rifles, both much older and more 'knowledgeable' than I, who insist on saying "bullet" whilst attempting to describe a complete round of ammunition. In fact, if corrected, they will heartedly argue their case as they believe this nonsense to be correct. I don't ever bother saying anything to them about it now, I can't see the point in arguing with someone.
    Ignorance can be rather frustrating to observe, but, why bother attempting to educate people who don't want to know anything other than what they think to be true.

Kind regards, Olaf

Olaf
    no offence but if that's all that's worrying / annoying you then you have nothing coming over you !

you say tomato I say ......

dont let it bother you

you far worse things going on

paul

Olaf does you wife use the Hoover or the "vacuume cleaner" :-)

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

Quote Originally Posted by neil_r View Post
    Olaf does you wife use the Hoover or the "vacuume cleaner" :-)
    Blu Tack, Post-it and Sellotape as well, but this is different... Olaf's point is that folk are using an incorrect name, not merely misusing a brand name ie for all reusable blue sticky putty, or every brand of sticky tape or every vacuum cleaner.

Personally, I don't really care - and neither does my quarry - but it's a fair point and one that we've all seen kick off on here

Cheers
    iain
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Don't worry about it Olaf there are some people in this world beyond educating. You are just slightly wrong in your statement about them being much older and more 'knowledgeable', older yes more knowledgeable on this subject No.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
    Bullets, If you look them up in the dictionary or any reloading manual, are the copper clad or pure lead missiles that leave the cartridge case and travel down the barrel propelled by the gasses produced by the burning propellant, which, has been ignited by the primer that was struck by the firing pin in the bolt of your rifle.
    What if my rifle doesn't have a bolt?

Neither, I use a Dyson. Its crap though.

what if its caseless auto electronic detination

Who cares, some get paranoid about the term heads for bullets as long as you understand what is meant what does it matter, my gamedealer lists Roe calves on my slip when he pays me, and we all know thats wrong, who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
    Bullets, If you look them up in the dictionary or any reloading manual, are the copper clad or pure lead missiles that leave the cartridge case and travel down the barrel propelled by the gasses produced by the burning propellant, which, has been ignited by the primer that was struck by the firing pin in the bolt of your rifle. Collectively these four components: bullet, case, propellant, and primer, when assembled, form what is known as a round of ammunition, or better still; a cartridge, they are most definitely not bullets. You could say: "I'm seating the bullets in a batch of ammunition" or "I'm seating the bullets in a batch of cartridges".
    I frequently hear this problematic terminology being repeated by 2 people I know who shoot centerfire rifles, both much older and more 'knowledgeable' than I, who insist on saying "bullet" whilst attempting to describe a complete round of ammunition. In fact, if corrected, they will heartedly argue their case as they believe this nonsense to be correct. I don't ever bother saying anything to them about it now, I can't see the point in arguing with someone.
    Ignorance can be rather frustrating to observe, but, why bother attempting to educate people who don't want to know anything other than what they think to be true.

Kind regards, Olaf
    From one pedant to another, or from one grumpy old fart to a pedant, I'm with you there.

I was about to wind you up with the other word but I see I've been beaten to it:

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Who cares, some get paranoid about the term heads for bullets as long as you understand what is meant what does it matter, my gamedealer lists Roe calves on my slip when he pays me, and we all know thats wrong, who cares.
    Heads are what they call toilets on boats/ships. The kind of people who use the H word to imply bullet can be prompted to use the word bullets to refer to the projectiles in a shotgun cartridge.