Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So sad that their being shot while pregnant & with young!

So sad that their being shot while pregnant & with young!

Just looking through the wild boar opertunities & was somewhat saddened & dismayed to see shooting under the moon throughout the year! I find it somewhat hypocritical to say we only shoot under the moon but we shoot all through the year when sows are pregnant or have dependant young, it appears that business must continue surely these animals deserve a chance of fair play & some respect but not in Dorset it seems.

Some would say as much chance as pregnant & dependant foxes?

How much and how many clients do you know pay 150 outing plus shot fee & trophy fee for foxes?
    ​"IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY" or so it seems
    Quote Originally Posted by davidm View Post
    Some would say as much chance as pregnant & dependant foxes?

Quote Originally Posted by CWMMAN3738 View Post
    How much and how many clients do you know pay 150 outing plus shot fee & trophy fee for foxes?
    Aw so you only have a problem with shooting pregnant females or females with dependant young when there's money involved!

Do you shoot Muntjac?

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

No i dont do it at all i leave mine alone untill the winter as Basil says "he who shoots sow with piglets enters the forrest of boar" or something like, i think they should have a season like all other species and the respect they deserve,
    and no i dont shoot muntjac!
    ​QUOTE=davidm;581899]Aw so you only have a problem with shooting pregnant females or females with No I dependant young when there's money involved![/QUOTE]

So where in the said advert do's it say anything about shooting pregnant sows or sows with dependant young? Nothing wrong with shooting yearling boar any time of the year. Hunters just need to know what they are shooting at.

​I think people have got some romantic idea about only shooting boar on a snowy moonlit nights.
    We have a short closed season on mature males. Yearling boar can be shot all year round. Sows with dependant young cannot be shot at any time of the year.

The reason for not shooting sows with dependant young is 2 fold. first the dependant young without their mother have no leadership and will cause more damage and just as bad is that without the lead sow all the other females of breeding age in the sounder will come on heat. So instead of curing a problem you make it worse.

Shame we don't have the same legislation in this country to protect them that's the point I'm making the dates offered will likely be when sows are with or have young and the prices are given for sows & juveniles. I agree with shooting males however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    So where in the said advert do's it say anything about shooting pregnant sows or sows with dependant young? Nothing wrong with shooting yearling boar any time of the year. Hunters just need to know what they are shooting at.

​I think people have got some romantic idea about only shooting boar on a snowy moonlit nights.
    We have a short closed season on mature males. Yearling boar can be shot all year round. Sows with dependant young cannot be shot at any time of the year.

The reason for not shooting sows with dependant young is 2 fold. first the dependant young without their mother have no leadership and will cause more damage and just as bad is that without the lead sow all the other females of breeding age in the sounder will come on heat. So instead of curing a problem you make it worse.

Shot fee: 50 for any female / juvenile male. No mention of sows, only juvenile male, females. Hunting boar is no different than hunting deer. You just need knowledge of what your shooting at.

Now that you are retired and have no need of an earned income.............

How do you expect Professional stalkers to earn a living? Shoot what's appropriate, that's what.

​Stan