Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pulsar 550 / 750 are they any good.

pulsar 550 / 750 are they any good.

im thinking of buying a pulsar 550 / 750 to go on my 222 for a night set up.
    do they hold zero on a centre fire.
    which is the better 550 / 750 or whats the differance between the 2.
    there seems to be a lot on the secondhand market.
    hope you guys can help me out, thankyou.

I've got a 550 on my .22. The 750 is an updated version with a better picture and longer range. Does it work? Yes. At a cost. I'm not convinced about the quality of Pulsar NV. Faults and warranty claims are common and though I haven't used mine on a CF, I had problems with mine holding zero on a rimfire and had it changed (without quibble) under warranty and that does not fill me with confidence. There are other issues. Its a heavy unit with poor ergonomics and it will need a powerful IR illluminator for CF use. I use an NM800 which is excellent but adds up to quite a lump. The adjustment increments are 20mm at 100 m (on the 550) which is very coarse, especially on a CF. And It restricts the rifle to night use. In theory you can use digi sights in daylight. In reality don't bother. The resolution just isn't good enough.
    If it was me, I wouldn't use a 550 or a 750 on a CF. I'd get an Archer add-on, ideally an objective add-on. These need a quality scope to get the best from them and preferably parallax adjustment. I wouldn't want to tie up such a useful rifle as a .222 to night use only. Better to get an add-on, or if your pockets are deep enough a true day/night scope like a Longbow.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    I've got a 550 on my .22. The 750 is an updated version with a better picture and longer range. Does it work? Yes. At a cost. I'm not convinced about the quality of Pulsar NV. Faults and warranty claims are common and though I haven't used mine on a CF, I had problems with mine holding zero on a rimfire and had it changed (without quibble) under warranty and that does not fill me with confidence. There are other issues. Its a heavy unit with poor ergonomics and it will need a powerful IR illluminator for CF use. I use an NM800 which is excellent but adds up to quite a lump. The adjustment increments are 20mm at 100 m (on the 550) which is very coarse, especially on a CF. And It restricts the rifle to night use. In theory you can use digi sights in daylight. In reality don't bother. The resolution just isn't good enough.
    If it was me, I wouldn't use a 550 or a 750 on a CF. I'd get an Archer add-on, ideally an objective add-on. These need a quality scope to get the best from them and preferably parallax adjustment. I wouldn't want to tie up such a useful rifle as a .222 to night use only. Better to get an add-on, or if your pockets are deep enough a true day/night scope like a Longbow.
    cheers finch, thats why there seems to be a lot on the secondhand market. i may still try one out, and see how it works out. im sure i would still get my money back if its not what i want. i could set up the scope on a picatinny rail, and use a day scope.
    not realy keen on the add ons.

Well I wouldn't agree with the above post at all, I have had an N550 and currently have an N750, only ever used them on CF and have had no problems, be it with holding zero or otherwise.

Combined with an NM800 the usable range is often further than you can shoot, I have shot foxes at over 300 yards with this setup.

I do agree that the 20mm adjustment on the N550 is too course and would definitely recommend the N750 over the old model

What are S/H units going for? If its cheap enough it might be worth a punt to see how you get on. Add 150 for an NM illuminator. You can always trade in or keep it as a rimfire sight. The 750 is the one to have, especially for a CF. Its very much a question of personal preference. I'm not entirely convinced, others are fans, so if at all possible try in the field before you buy. Maybe there is a SD member near you who could take you out for a walk round to see what you think.
    The trouble with NV is its evolving at a rate of knots. Whatever you buy, something better will be along shortly.

Scott country have a load unit: it convinced me to buy and N750.
    Pros and Cons? Yes, lots (both). Not a panacea for all ill or bad field craft.
    The NM800IR is (IMO and I'll stand by it) a requirement for foxing unless you're within a few miles of a town as the internal one's ok for close in but get beyond 150yards and it's pathetic.
    Be aware that close in grass and reeds will upset the gain control and black out the targets behind: you need to position yourself.
    Foxes behave differently when not directly threatened (by the light) and they may sit for an inordinate time: flushed one recently with a caller. They hate the things as the local lads use them a lot plus white light.
    Zero? Hmm, jury out but seems ok on mine (22-250) for now. It's on a Picatinny rail: good for swapping to day mode.

We have a 7 day demo service to allow you to try at home before you buy (conditions apply)

Personally I have used a 550 and 750 extensively and twinned with an NM800 IR they are devastatingly good performance out to 300 yards (750)

As for quality issues we sell huge numbers of them and yes like all electronic devices you get occasional faults but the returns rate across the board is very small for N750.

Generally they are superbly reliable and tough and durable hence the build type.

Occaisional issues are usually down to fitment and people not using the right rails for their rifles.

Anyway the demo unit is there to be tested (if not out at moment as I am on paternity) and we also have an NM800 also should you wish.

The Archer is very good also but very different and not as user friendly in terms of ease of use.

With a Gen 3 D at under 1800 quid they offer devastating performance and ideal
    for spotting and then rifle attachment.

Any questions please ask one of our sales team on 01556 503587.

Regards

Paul

thankyou for all your comments.

Very interesting comments on the 550 and 750.
    I was thinking on getting one (750) to put on one of my sako quads permanently and just change & re sight the barrel over from LR to WMR as required, rabbits and short range foxes respectively.

Only thing that concerns me is the faulty bit, if it goes t**s up, I would be cream crackered, until a replacement is found, then there's all the resetting and re jigging it all again. At the moment if one of my scopes goes down on the quads I just change the barrel over and re sight it in and get a new scope

I decided to stay with the kit I use already, small lamp, laser designator lamp on the scope and nv binos, they work extremely well.

I gotta say I wouldn't mind one, there is a big but for me, it would be brilliant for me for work and leisure, not sure if quality is good enough yet. That's only me and my thoughts

Have just finished a fox reduction, one walked right by me in the pitch black, I didn't see it, the dog picked it up on scent and just followed it by sight like they do, it did actually come back, that would have been a cracking find for the pulsar.
    Last edited by philip; 12-05-2013 at 22:57.

The UK Pulsar distributors are first class and on the rare occaision a warranty device develops a fault they will turn it around within a few days in most instances in my experience.

Usually a new unit swapped out by return.

Personally I have found Thomas Jacks to be first class in every aspect as a Pulsar distributor.

And seriously these units are very easy to set up and can effectively be swapped from rifle to rifle with a fast re-zero using the one shot system.

And let's be honest they very rarely go wrong....