Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stalking over Max

Stalking over Max

Hi All

I popped out Saturday morning having a mooch around a couple of farms ready for my friend Michael's visit next week.
    I left the one part of the farm alone where I know there is a good 6 pointer and headed over the hill. It wasn't the best of mornings quite cold wind and I didnt see much so I dropped down to a little wood. I first spotted a doe and then bumped a small spiker buck in velvet. I got across the wood and the turned towards the wind how I could take full advantage of Max's nose. Within a few minutes his nose was waving around in the air so I dropped down onto the next ride still seeing nothing. As we crossed the wind again Max again told me there was still something there so I edged forward towards the field edge, in the field about 100 yards up a little valley there was a cull buck stood broadside, I decided in a spit second to take this one after seeing the fraying on the way through the wood and I'm sure Michael wouldn't mind as we are after bigger boy's than this I hope . I had to drop onto the fencepost as the tree was in the way for a shot off my sticks and squeezed the trigger. The 127grn conepoint done its job and the buck fell into the long grass. I wouldn't have got the drop on this buck without Max as he led me to a different part of the wood to where I was heading "good dog"

Sunday morning I went out close to home on a new patch it was a lot nicer morning than the forecast so I was glad I made the effort to get up a 3.45am.
    I walked up ride from the truck and after about 100 yards I saw the arse of a Muntjac cross the ride I made a few yards a bit quick until I could see over the back just in time to see him disappear into cover "bugger".

I walked on up the ride and over the ridge dropping down onto a lower ride where the sun was filtering through the trees onto the bank.
    I walked along very slowly scanning with the binos every few steps.After about 50 yards Max's nose went again indicating something on the bank to our right I froze for about a minute scanning then I spotted a tail dissapearing through the bushes I gave a squeak on the buttalo and the tail stopped at which point the rifle was up and I could see it was a young buck I had a quick chance for a neck shot and again the little K95 done its job ( while looking pretty )

​Max looked extremely smug he knows he's done well and has a bit of a silly moment rubbing his head against me and whining "good dog"

Well done Wayne, Max looks well pleased with your shooting.
    Team work at its best.

Well done, my friend!
    I like to hear the stories about scanning the ground for roebucks, I like to hear about your great results, I love to hear about Max's perfect peformances, but what makes me frightened is "getting up at 03:45".....

Cheers mate, thanks for all the efforts your are already putting in our next swap hunt, but be prepared, this season seems to be not my best one till now, so hard work from Thursday on!
    I checked the forecast, the weather looks to be alright and getting better and better for next weekend....

Cant wait to arrive, the suitcase is packed and ready (except some gear I need for stalking here this week)!

See you soon,

Michael
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

Lovely pictures Wayne. Love the second one, it would be nice on a canvas. Not sure about the bullet holder on that pretty little gun though! you should put them in the band on your hat
    Micheal, I really hope you have good hunting next week. Fingers crossed for you

Ezzy

Quote Originally Posted by ezzy6.5 View Post
    Lovely pictures Wayne. Love the second one, it would be nice on a canvas. Not sure about the bullet holder on that pretty little gun though! you should put them in the band on your hat Micheal, I really hope you have good hunting next week. Fingers crossed for you Ezzy
    ​I dont think the missus would like it on the living room wall

No It aint a pretty add on but it speeds up loading a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Wildboar1973 View Post
    Well done, my friend!
    I like to hear the stories about scanning the ground for roebucks, I like to hear about your great results, I love to hear about Max's perfect peformances, but what makes me frightened is "getting up at 03:45".....

Cheers mate, thanks for all the efforts your are already putting in our next swap hunt, but be prepared, this season seems to be not my best one till now, so hard work from Thursday on!
    I checked the forecast, the weather looks to be alright and getting better and better for next weekend....

Cant wait to arrive, the suitcase is packed and ready (except some gear I need for stalking here this week)!

See you soon,

Michael

3.45am??? in your dreams mate I was up at 3am to get up the Cotswolds on Saturday morning

Back to work for a rest tomorrow then out after a Roe as a guest tomorrow night hope my luck continues especially when my unlucky friend arrives on Thursday

3:00 am?
    Cant wait!
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

Max is certainly a hell of a dog Wayne an experience to stalk over regards pete

Well done Thats the reward you get for trusting your dog

PENDLE
    If its hit its history / If its missed its a mystery

A gun is always loaded .A mule always kicks

I new we had something in common Wayne !! off to work for a rest I new it couldn't only be me. hope you and Mickel have a few.

Gadget