Thread: DSC1 Study Period

DSC1 Study Period

I'm a total newbie to this game, so I'll be the one on the course borrowing the house rifle....

My question is, as a total newcomer, how much study time should I allow prior to doing my DSC1? There is a course with Jelen on 24/5 but I am concerned I won't be ready for that... Also worried about how/where I will get range time to practice the shooting part...

Quote Originally Posted by Toxster View Post
    I'm a total newbie to this game, so I'll be the one on the course borrowing the house rifle....

My question is, as a total newcomer, how much study time should I allow prior to doing my DSC1? There is a course with Jelen on 24/5 but I am concerned I won't be ready for that... Also worried about how/where I will get range time to practice the shooting part...
    To be frank I did about 200 hours reading and revision, but my knowledge of the subject was pretty scant beforehand, regarding the shooting I found dry firing to establish comfortable positions with minimal movement invaluable. Good luck. atb Tim

All depends on how quick you can retain the information. If you're generally good at the academic side co things then you could probably cram most of it in between now and the course.
    You'd need to focus on certain elements and probably spend less time on others. Ie the food hygiene stuff is mostly pretty common sense so you might be able to spend a little I less time on that and concentrate more on the species specific questions if that's what you're finding difficult.
    i found jelen's online training aid absolutely invaluable. As you're doing the course with them you might already be able to use it? If not I'd recommend signing up for it. I enables you to do mock tests and then instantly be told which questions you got wrong (and the correct answers). In this way you might be able to direct your study to the weaker areas.
    or the marksmanship side of things, have you done much shooting before? The shooting test really isn't that hard as long as you stay calm and take as much time as you need, although practice with sticks might be useful if you haven't used them much before.
    Last edited by palmer_mike; 12-05-2013 at 13:39. Reason: Spelling

I guess I could get some indoor 25yd practice with the Ruger 10/22, just need to clear with the RCO if I can do various positions and bring a stick! From what you're both saying I think I'll delay and go for a late June date. Thanks.

I guess I could get some indoor 25yd practice with the Ruger 10/22, just need to clear with the RCO if I can do various positions and bring a stick! From what you're both saying I think I'll delay and go for a late June date. Thanks.
    Youll probably be more relaxed with the extra study time. You do cover all you need to know on the course, but I found having studied before hand I picked up a lot of extra nuggets on the course I might have otherwise missed!
    ​made it a more enjoyable rather than stressful course as well.

Yes, practicing on scaled down targets at 25m is very useful, get hold of copies of the dsc1 zero target and the A4 shoulder insert for the Roe target and reduce to 25% on a copier, atb Tim