Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Newbie

Reloading Newbie

Hi all I am new to reloading and have just reloaded my first 5 rounds for my .22-250 and have just reloaded them. I reloaded once fired PPU Brass with 32grains of N135 powder and used 52grains A-max heads. The bullets have an overall length of 59.50mm. Would this combination be suitable. Hopefully over the next few weeks I will be asking more questions about reloading and hopefully picking up some hints and advice from you fellow reloaders.

Are you sure that it is the right amount of powder ? not looking at a reloading data but I thinking a little to much powder there. Which reloading book are you following ?

Quote Originally Posted by oman View Post
    Hi all I am new to reloading and have just reloaded my first 5 rounds for my .22-250 and have just reloaded them. I reloaded once fired PPU Brass with 32grains of N135 powder and used 52grains A-max heads. The bullets have an overall length of 59.50mm. Would this combination be suitable. Hopefully over the next few weeks I will be asking more questions about reloading and hopefully picking up some hints and advice from you fellow reloaders.
    Deffinatly too hot . Reduce by 10% and work up slowley untill you find the "sweet spot". Please do not fire these loads that you have loaded.
    Tusker.

Viht starting load for 51gr is 26.5 with a max of 30.2 on N135.

I would start at 26.5 load 10 rounds and go up in .5gr steps until you find which gives the best results in your particular rifle, obviously check each batch for pressure signs and stop if you see any problems.

Edit. Just re-read your other post and it seems you're neck sizing, another reason to start with the lower rec. loads as the Viht information is based on cases which are sized to Saami spec (ie. full length sized and trimmed to length), neck sized cases can have a fair difference in internal volume depending on how tight/loose the chamber was that thet were originally fired in.
    Last edited by phaedra; 12-05-2013 at 16:28.

Hi folks just realised that I made a mistake I think I have looked at the wrong data I must have been looking at a 55grain bullet. That's the first mistake I have made and hopefully it will be the last. Do you see the 51grain bullet is that the nearest one that I will get to 52 grain a max bullet. I will start at 26.5 grains and work up to find the sweet spot. Just out of interest what would have happened if I fired the loads that I made.

Quote Originally Posted by oman View Post
    Hi folks just realised that I made a mistake I think I have looked at the wrong data I must have been looking at a 55grain bullet. That's the first mistake I have made and hopefully it will be the last. Do you see the 51grain bullet is that the nearest one that I will get to 52 grain a max bullet. I will start at 26.5 grains and work up to find the sweet spot. Just out of interest what would have happened if I fired the loads that I made.
    Instantaneous death.

Only kidding! No telling what would have happened. Too many other variables.~Muir

Near died after reading that. But saying that it has just shown me that I must take total care when reloading. Just to clarify would a 52grain a max bullet with 26.5 grains of powder be suitable. If so what would be a suitable length for the overall size of the bullet.

As Muir says too many variables to be safe, unknown case volume, primer type, neck tension, scales accuracy etc. etc.

At the end of the day make a mistake and ignore it and you may be lucky and be able to continue shooting, using all your fingers, seeing out of both eyes, breathing etc. but it's never ever worth the risk.

Don't worry about it too much, everyone makes mistakes, the important thing is you've done the right thing and asked before shooting them

Saami Spec for the 22-250 OAL is 2.35" or 59.69mm so your length of 59.50 is fine. A 52gr bullet in place of a 51gr will be fine, just start at min. load data and work your way up.
    Last edited by phaedra; 12-05-2013 at 16:50.

Yea when you put it like that. I'm new to reloading and will be asking a lot more questions over the coming weeks you'll be sick of answering them but hopefully you will give me the help and advice that I require and maybe someday I will be doing the same for some lad starting out. Out of interest what manual would you recommend for a newbie like me.

There are as many manuals as there are views as to which is best!, personally I like the Lee manual and found it very interesting indeed. There are infinite amounts of load data out on the Internet, some good, some bad, some downright dangerous!. Powder manufacturers will always give you load data that is tried and tested to be safe and that's usually the best place to start.

In general if you can find another reloader who knows what they are doing and get some hands-on experience that will be a great help. Failing that ask here, never be afraid to ask what seems like a stupid or even obvious question, there's no such thing, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask before doing something you're unsure of