Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Factory vs Reloading ammo for 243

Factory vs Reloading ammo for 243

Can anyone recommend 243 factory ammo (70-90 grain), for deer and fox

federal 85gr bthp vital shock superb round but expensive about 30 for 20

correctly reloaded ammo will always be better than any factory stuff,so if you can reload do it,as to what bullet to use a 87gr BTHP with Vit 160 will do all you need

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    correctly reloaded ammo will always be better than any factory stuff,so if you can reload do it,as to what bullet to use a 87gr BTHP with Vit 160 will do all you need
    why is reloaded better than factory - what's the key advantages

Reload if you can,sierra 85gn BTHP and h4895 a good combination,think they may be loaded in some federal rounds which would be a good choice for factory ammo,i used to use the 100gn sierra BTSP vital shock and they are fine for foxes but would go 85gn now personally.

Quote Originally Posted by blaire View Post
    why is reloaded better than factory - what's the key advantages
    as you tune the powder charge and seating depth to your rifle,plus each load will be consistant to the next,provided you do the job right of course

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnraider View Post
    Reload if you can,sierra 85gn BTHP and h4895 a good combination,think they may be loaded in some federal rounds which would be a good choice for factory ammo,i used to use the 100gn sierra BTSP vital shock and they are fine for foxes but would go 85gn now personally.
    +1 good bullet choice 85 grain hpbt , I load with varget and it performs very well

My Steyr scout loves Federal 70grain noslers and will put 3 through the same ragged hole.
    As much as I like the idea of reloading, just how much more accuracy do you need?
    I also bet you don't save much money as you're constantly experimenting whilst reloading hence firing more bullets.
    I just whack a shot at a lasered clod of earth everytime I get a new batch and after five years, they still shoot to the same zero.

For deer sized targets at standard ranges, factory ammo makes a lot of sense.

Federal power shok 80gn. Relatively inexpensive (or was) and shoots well in both of the rifles I have chambered in .243.

Attachment 28208Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	242.3 KB 
ID:	28209This really will depend on what your specific rifle likes, if you can get away with using the 90gr ppu offering them do as you will get them for around 16/20 rounds.

my rifle seems to like Norma 75gr BT's and there is no point in me reloading as the accuracy is fantastic and any fliers are down to me not the rifle, the below targets are shot with the Norma's and I would be concerned if the rifle shot anything much over an inch at 100 yards and I'm not great shot - I just hold it steady and squeeze the trigger, the rifle does the rest! anyone needing anything more than this for stalking at sensible ranges is kidding themselves...

regards
    ​Gixer