Thread: Roe heads

Roe heads

Guys, some advice/ guidance, please. Currently preparing a Buck antlers and half skull and would apreciate some help. I have bleached the skull and quite happy with that...used peroxide, everything went ok. Tried to buy Pottassium permangonate, apparently this is now on the "banned substnce" list because of its explosive qualities !. Anyway, bought the bushwear stain ( which appears to be the same) and again, quite happy with that, so my questions are.. 1) Is it possible to buy the pottassium in the raw and , if so where? and 2) what are your,e views on spraying the finished antlers with laquer to brighten them up, Regards, Iain .

Did not realise that potassium permangonate had been banned have not bought any for quite some time but used to get it from the chemist.

Its your choice of course but personally I would not use lacquer on the antlers as it will give them an unnatural sheen.

Quote Originally Posted by ph243 View Post
    Guys, some advice/ guidance, please. Currently preparing a Buck antlers and half skull and would apreciate some help. I have bleached the skull and quite happy with that...used peroxide, everything went ok. Tried to buy Pottassium permangonate, apparently this is now on the "banned substnce" list because of its explosive qualities !. Anyway, bought the bushwear stain ( which appears to be the same) and again, quite happy with that, so my questions are.. 1) Is it possible to buy the pottassium in the raw and , if so where? and 2) what are your,e views on spraying the finished antlers with laquer to brighten them up, Regards, Iain .

Plenty Potassium Permanganate for sale on ebay - I would not spray laquer on the antlers, it will look wrong. If you want to impart some life I would suggest a 50/50 mixture of linseed oil, spirit mix. Light coat only....

Thanks for that guys. I spoke to my to my local chemist and he advised me of it,s status.(rightly or wrongly) The linseed oil mix does sound a bit more sensible given that laquer is pretty much irrecoverable if it goes wrong. Thanks, Iain