Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roe Buck season so far!

Roe Buck season so far!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000048.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	382.4 KB 
ID:	28211

Just got back from a long weekend stalking with clients, all of which are site members. The Roe season has been rather odd up to now, in as much that the bucks are only showing briefly during the early morning and evening and do not seem to be wandering out in the open quite so much.

However out of 4 clients from Friday to Sunday morning, 3 of them collected a buck with me. The above photo was taken with my camera phone so is not the best quality, but at the end of Saturday morning I ran into this big lad on my lease. Believe it or not it got within 15yds of both me and Chris (the client) before making its way to our right and dissapearing into the undergrowth. At least a Bronze, possibly silver and only a young animal. Potentially a gold buck in about 2 years I would hope and every much similar to the gold head I took with a client last season.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000050.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	452.2 KB 
ID:	28212

Here is the buck we took this morning on another area I have, good old beast but an uneven head, good body weight and clean of velvet and no sign of summer coat. This is the 8th buck I have taken with clients so far.

ATB

Sikamalc
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

nice one malc, its been a funny year all round this year

Great going malc , nice buck . Client looks over the moon !

The ground is looking nice, a bit different than on my visit. Glad to see you're finding a few nice ones. Hope you and Sandra are well.

Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    The ground is looking nice, a bit different than on my visit. Glad to see you're finding a few nice ones. Hope you and Sandra are well.
    Thank you,

Yes its picked up a lot, its amazing with a little warmth and rain how its come on, but its still about 2 to 3 weeks behind in places and the estate lost all the crops, the seed just rotted in the ground so all the fields are without any real cover at the moment. This may be one reason why the bucks are keeping in the edges of the woods and thicker wooded areas?
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Went out with Malcolm on Saturday. In the morning went out with one of Malcolm's helpers, not sure I should mention names...
    Well on the stalk we got onto a fox which at first we both thought was a Roe's bum by the naked eye, then through the glasses saw it was a fox with a black back. Decided not to shoot it, the wife would question my sanity shooting foxes on a deer stalk. Anyway carried on and it was really quiet, very strange, at that point we both noticed a movement and it was a big buck, it walked into the woods and we thought we would stick around to see if any others turned up. Waiting and nothing. Then as we decided to move off, we saw the big buck behind us, only about 50 yards in the middle of the field.
    Not an expert on medal heads but this one was a healthy 6 pointer maybe a bronze or silver. Big muscular beast. I was surely tempted until I remembered the cost. Morning sun was behind him, if anything it would have been nice to take a photo. Where I am there isn't any Roe, for me seeing Roe is a treat and certainly made my morning.
    Afternoon I was out with Malcolm. We went out quite early on the off chance and it's nice to get out anyway.
    We went to to favoured spots but being early and the fact the animals aren't moving so much we didn't see much, only a lone fox which had spied us.
    Deciding to try somewhere else we walked back and stumbled upon a buck walking along the side of a wood. This chap was coming out then back in all the time. Got to a point to ambush him but he had gone back in the wood, I saw him moving then Malc did, then when I was going to take a shot he dissappeared.
    We tried to see if he would pass through the wood going across a ride, but no luck, so we carried on through the wood to a point looking over some bare fields. This is where we saw a buck chasing a smaller buck and a doe quietly eating. It was a good way away, the deer were just dots on the field, well in my glasses they were. We made out way to the wood but on the other side of a hedgerow, got in position and waited. Now the deer had gone. So we waited. I heard some twigs breaking in the wood, so we knew they were still there.
    A few minutes passed and then the smaller of the Bucks came out and walked along the side of the wood towards us. Closer and closer then he stopped to chew on something, aimed and shot. He went over and didn't get up. Shot was a bit high, but little meat damage.
    Malcolm as always worked hard for me tp get this one, as I didn't get one in the morning, however he always go that extra bit to get you on the deer. We covered some ground that afternoon and it was a good stalk and a few hurried walks to get in the right place.
    Thanks again to Malcolm and his mate, another great day.

Cheers Ritchie, as always enjoyed your company and although the Roe are there, they are not moving until late, as we found out. Even so we still got a beast and as I said previously 4 clients over the weekend and 3 bucks aint bad going.

Look forward to maybe seeing you later in the season on the Fallow or CWD.

ATB

Malc

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Nice read chaps well done.

Malc, you think that buck was the same big fella that your better half took a pic of near the Bothy?
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Nice read chaps well done.

Malc, you think that buck was the same big fella that your better half took a pic of near the Bothy?
    No totally opposite side of the estate mate. I have not seen the buck you refer to before or since, although Sandra has seen doe's in the area whilst out last week we have not seen the big boy since she took the photo.

Hope fully we will catch up with him later this year.

ATB

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Great read amd well done to you and your clients some beauty bucks there I'm hoping to get down to Suffolk next weekend after roe , work and unimportant things have been taking far too much of my stalking time up lately lol