Thread: New dog dilemma

New dog dilemma

Hi everyone,

Last week I brought home a Springer pup, an 8 week old dog. It is my intention to train him to work with me and deer only, no feather.
    So far the basic obedience training is progressing very well, in the garden, just me, him and cooked deer liver.
    My dilemma is that I have two other dogs who have received very little in the way of formal training, one of which is a jack russell who will chase anything given half the chance (I have tried to reign him in but have not yet suceeded). Can I take the springer out with him for walks (when he's had his jabs) or will he pick up bad habits? Or should I walk him seperately?
    Any advice would be most grateful.

Paul

Sell the springer and use the Russell for deer

Sorry not very helpful at all.
    Take the springer away from home to do his training on his own, let home be place he can play with the other dogs. This way when you take him out he knows its business time and his focus on you and not the other dogs.

Cheers. Matt.

I don't really walk pup's other than to get them used to a lead and even then very short. Get enough exercise chasing the other dogs round the garden but they can also lie down when tired which they can't if ur walkking them to heel on a lead. Generally u can cuase more harm to a young dog by over exercising than under, think something like 5 or 10 mins walk per month off age is a ruff guideline (sure someone will inform u of the correct guideline)

Once it's old enough and trained to heel well u could walk them together but will depend how well ur jrt walk's to heel, hard for a young dog who is just learning to heel to walk there when another dog is walking 3-6ft in front or pulling only natural for ur spaniel to try a walk along side it.
    I would possibly try to rein in ur jrt first esp with his heeling in the next weeks/months so that he is happy in the heel position right beside ur knee or possibly just 1-2ft infront since u want it as a stalking dog rather than a gundog
    Generally it is best to train all young dogs on there own with little distractions until u get to more advanced training

I train all my young dogs separately and walk them separately until they are steady enough to work with other dogs.

Cigors Gundogs

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

Kept springers for 46 years. I would train a pup seperate from other dogs until old enough and steady enough to join a group training session. All of this would depend on how quickly the dog could be trained. Bear in mind that they can learn something bad as quickly as something good.

All of the terriers I and my family have owned were basically nutters when anything happened although one was a good tracker, trouble was she could be distracted by other scent.

They can be exercised together as long as the ground is sterile ( that is there is no game or anything they can hunt) so that they dont hunt as a group or your springer will follow the terrier's lead.

Good luck.

I'd like to thank you guys for the advice, which all makes perfect sense. I will continue to train the springer seperately but will also re-visit some training effort on the terrier to see if i can zone him in to my way of thinking!
    I remain undecided on whether dogs are more work than kids??!!

Cheers

Paul

As stated training and dog walking at a young age should be done one to one even with dogs that excel any bad habits will be picked up by the pup as well as some good ones. Pup is far too young to start any major training only recall walking at heel and sitting and staying should be the order of the day. Are you keeping it in doors or outdoors? Basically with all dogs you only get out what you put in as for the remark for sell the Springer and use the Russell disregard. Take your time and enjoy the pup.Dogs are more work than kids good luck.

Take this or leave it. You have two choices to prevent you going nuts. One, train/walk your young spaniel on his own. Never let him run about with the JR. No matter how well you train him, if you walk him with an untrained dog the temptation will always be there for him to run wild with the JR. You will always be "fighting" against that temptation. Two, and IMO the best is to move on the JR and concentrate on the spaniel. Sounds a bit harsh but in a while revisit this thread and tell me if I am right. Having a young pup running with another trained dog is great as the pup learns to react the same way as the trained dog but if one is untrained the opposite always applies.

Quote Originally Posted by scooby565 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Last week I brought home a Springer pup, an 8 week old dog. It is my intention to train him to work with me and deer only, no feather.
    So far the basic obedience training is progressing very well, in the garden, just me, him and cooked deer liver.
    My dilemma is that I have two other dogs who have received very little in the way of formal training, one of which is a jack russell who will chase anything given half the chance (I have tried to reign him in but have not yet suceeded). Can I take the springer out with him for walks (when he's had his jabs) or will he pick up bad habits? Or should I walk him seperately?
    Any advice would be most grateful.

Paul
    Never never never never feel tempted to take out with the others it will just be a sure road to ruin. I have a 10 month old Viz pup which I bred and she never goes out with mum. You have to make your pupil take notice of you, other dogs are just a distraction to them. I love to let my dogs have fun time and enjoy their antics but this is reserved for in the garden only.
    John.

I would endorse what vizslamad has said totally. When you do eventually run the pup with other dogs it will watch them and tend to do what they do. Therefore if you have another dog that runs in or is not 100percent steady your pup will copy it. Train the pup on its own.