Thread: Not stalking but my fishing trip in Florida today

Not stalking but my fishing trip in Florida today

​Well I out in Florida as I have a business meeting tomorrow but had a free day today so of course went fishing.
    I have been up since 3am due to Jet lag and it is now 1830 so I apologise for typos...

Trip started at 7am and instantly off to a good note....boat came to the jetty to pick me up and Nicole the deck hand introduced herself...not the usual deck hand I observe, certainly not a rough and hairy seaman, but a stunning brunnette in denim hot pants. If I was not engaged I would have fallen in love, she was a cracker fisherwoman as well and did all the dirty jobs, she also hunts and butchers her own meat! (that is not a euphemism).

We were drift fishing aboard "Country Club" out Jupiter and despite being a good sized boat there were only 3 other anglers, American locals who were not really serious about their fishing but were good fun.

I landed about 30 fish, from Cobia, Remora, Blue Runner, Bonito Tuna and finally a monster.

I had a cobia of about 10lbs and then hooked another which went like stink and really put up a good fight for 5 or six minutes and was considerably bigger, until disaster struck - shark got it.

Very next drop as I was letting line out something grabbed my bait and burnt my thumb as the reel was still in free spool. This felt big. It was very big.

After a 25 minute struggle and lots of swearing and micky taking from the lovely Nicole as she would not let me have a fighting belt an estimated 400lb bull shark was at the side of the boat, very proffessionally and skillfully released by the surprising strong Nicole (she really was the perfect woman...). I have a massive bruise in my groin from fighting the thing on 50lb gear which really was not suitable for the shark. We were using gang hooks (3 5/0s) which enabled me to get the shark in as it was hooked on the bottom hook to the two hooks above it protect the line as no wire was used.

Sadly no pictures of the shark as it was too hectic to land it and release it and then I needed a rest.

7 hours fishing with tackle and bait (baited up by the lovely Nicole - yes there is a trend in this thread) cost me $75 so I paid $100 which was fantastic value for an awesome day's fishing. The cobia was filleted and gutted for me and I have been recommended a place called The Thirsty Turtle who will cook it for me ($9 for them to cook it and two sides, can't go wrong). I was going to invite my new friend but sadly she is married and I would probably get killed when I get home, especially when I tell my fiance it is Nicole's fault I have bruise in my groin.

I know what you are thinking by this point, never mind fish pics, show us the deck hand...well she did creep onto the edge of a couple of pics...

and one that she took of me trying to look like I was enjoying wrestling with a monster shark...

Good day afloat then, as for the 50lb outfit, looks to me like it was perfect for the job.
    Had it been any more powerful you would be posting from 'Davy Jones Locker'

Neil.

Good write-up, sound like a brilliant day. It's something I've always wanted to do is fish in different parts of the world. Like salmon fishing in Alaska, Taimen fishing in Mongolia and big game fishing in Kona. Probably cost me more than $100 though.

Quote Originally Posted by calgeo View Post
    Good write-up, sound like a brilliant day. It's something I've always wanted to do is fish in different parts of the world. Like salmon fishing in Alaska, Taimen fishing in Mongolia and big game fishing in Kona. Probably cost me more than $100 though.

I have done salmon and giant sturgeon in British Columbia and it is incredible. Also caught my first bonefish and permit in February in Tobago on the flats, stunning fishing. Neither quite as brutal or strenuous as today's shark lol!

Something I am longing to do in that very place

Sounds like you are having a good time, hope the work hasn't got in the way of your sport.

A shame you couldn't get any pics of the shark, but at least we saw a couple of Nicole.

As i started to read this and the Nicole i was expecting the final statement from you to say 'and then i woke up'! then i scrolled down to the pics, all i can say is very jealous, looks like great fun.
    Cheers
    Richard

Very jealous sounds like like a great trip