Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Post Reticles

  1. #1

    Post Reticles

    Does any body use a post type reticle as in the Schmidt and bender A1 etc. and what are the pros and cons.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Does any body use a post type reticle as in the Schmidt and bender A1 etc. and what are the pros and cons.
    The first scope I used on a regular basis had a post. I always felt it was very unclear where the actual aiming point was. I much prefer a 4A type reticle. Regards JCS

  3. #3
    I had a 3.5-10x50 Meopta with a post reticle. In my opinion it obscured far too much of the image and lacked precision. Alternatively a good friend has a little S&B 4x32 with a post reticle and on that all seems in better proportion and is an excellent low light option.
    Current battery, Air Arms TX200 MK3 .177, Hawke Vantage SF 3-12x40, Anschutz 1427B .22LR Sporterised Biathlon rifle, A-TEC wave mod Nikon 4.5-14x40, Tikka M595 .222Rem Leupold 6.5-20x40 LR. Howa 1500 APC .308win Varmint Nikko FFP 6-24x50 Wildcat Evo. Sauer 202 Classic XT .243Win Leupold VX3 4.5-14x50 Wildcat Evo.

  4. #4
    Not S&B but I use 2 Zeiss with #1 reticle. It is great in low light. I prefer it to #4 in first focal plane as middle of the cross hair actually covers the target while with #1 reticle you place the tip of the post where you want to hit and see the target fine, if it makes sense...


  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by glogin View Post
    Not S&B but I use 2 Zeiss with #1 reticle. It is great in low light. I prefer it to #4 in first focal plane as middle of the cross hair actually covers the target while with #1 reticle you place the tip of the post where you want to hit and see the target fine, if it makes sense...
    what I don't like about the a1 is that you cannot really judge how much deer you have below the cross-hair/point/tip, as it's covered, so you cannot view the crosshair placement in proportion to both the back of the deer, or the belly, only to the back, top of neck, etc. point being, you may think you're aiming in the right place, but you're actually a bit low, you just can't see it because your view of the lower edge is obscured...

    not sure if that makes sense, but you may get my drift.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Stover Rover View Post
    I had a 3.5-10x50 Meopta with a post reticle. In my opinion it obscured far too much of the image and lacked precision. Alternatively a good friend has a little S&B 4x32 with a post reticle and on that all seems in better proportion and is an excellent low light option.
    I have the same Meopta and love it.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  7. #7
    Thanks Gentlemen, I use the 4a on all my rifles rifles, in a Zeiss 6x42, Swarovski Habict 4-12x50 and Meopta 6x42. Must admit to really liking the fine cross hair on the latter, the other two have thicker cross hairs, and on the Zeiss pretty much obscure most of the shoulder on a small buck or doe. I have a post reticle on a 1-4x20 that I think will very good for close range work.

  8. #8
    I have an old Pecar with single post reticle. - It works very well - the lack of heavy side posts gives a very clear field of view - the only bit obscured is in the area where you don't need to see. I never felt it was obscuring the bottom half of my target (fox, deer or rabbit) - In very low light you can still see your point of aim long after a fine cross hair becomes useless. Works well under a lamp also.
    Mine spent many years on my foxing setup & I never felt it inadequate. Plenty of foxes will vouch for that!
    I think a single post would be great for boar shooting.

    Ian

Similar Threads

  1. Swaro reticles
    By ezzy6.5 in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 20-03-2013, 19:31
  2. looking for an old post
    By leec6.5 in forum Deer Dogs & Tracking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-01-2013, 20:46
  3. First post
    By LGB in forum Introductions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-04-2012, 06:02
  4. Zeiss Rapid-Z reticles
    By PKL in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25-04-2011, 12:09
  5. Where do I post this?
    By captdavid in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21-02-2011, 21:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •