Thread: Hello

Hello

Hi, I am from Gloucestershire and I am planning on moving from my rimfire rife up to a deer capable centrefire rifle.

I currently shoot a CZ 452 .17HMR for rabbits.

I am joining to get some honest opinions on some rifles that I have seen and hopefully increasing my knowledge ready for my DSC1 in October.

Hi Caddy welcome to the site lots of knowledge available from some really experienced people just for the asking
    Morgan

After a good read through a very small percentage of the forum today, I can now say, I have less of an idea about what direction I want to go in than I did at the start

All I know is, that I really want to get into deer stalking. I had a wonderful stalk down in Devon with "Devon Deer Stalker" on bank holiday Monday which has really made my mind up. It was a wonderfully professional and friendly service, I would highly recommend to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by caddy13 View Post
    hi, i am from gloucestershire and i am planning on moving from my rimfire rife up to a deer capable centrefire rifle.

I currently shoot a cz 452 .17hmr for rabbits.

I am joining to get some honest opinions on some rifles that i have seen and hopefully increasing my knowledge ready for my dsc1 in october.
    loads of info on here for you
    hope you get sorted
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Caddy13 View Post
    Hi, I am from Gloucestershire and I am planning on moving from my rimfire rife up to a deer capable centrefire rifle.

I currently shoot a CZ 452 .17HMR for rabbits.

I am joining to get some honest opinions on some rifles that I have seen and hopefully increasing my knowledge ready for my DSC1 in October.
    My advise would be buy the cheapest second-hand UK deer-legal rifle (so .243W) from a reputable RFD or Retailer or Rifle smith you can find; and buy the most expensive Scope and pair of binoculars you can afford. Even a cheap and cheerfull rifle will kill any deer nicely if you hit it in the right spot and as most deer are culled at 40-60 yards (under typical Cotswolds conditions) and the killing zone is at least 6", accuracy is not as much of an issue as many forum users will make you believe.
    Bino's will be used a lot more than your rifle or scope and that is where you should spent most of your money, look for WP (Water Proof), Multi-Coated and Gas-filled as a minimum - both are available at the mid-range price from around 300, but if you like to pay for a famous Brand name you could easily spent 1,200-1,500 on each. Be aware there are people on these forums who have either been seduced by the marketing-men, or they actually get paid by famous Brands to promote their products on the forums to those who like to be seduced

Welcome to the site,

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses