Cost of rented stalking

woollyback

I am looking to acquire new stalking ground and have some local farmers which are interested in renting out the stalking on their ground. The stalking I have currently was achieved by working up the ranks starting with pigeons then foxes then asking nicely for the deer so I have never paid rent for stalking before. The farmers who are interested have also never rented their stalking so we are at a stale mate, neither of us know what a suitable figure actually is!

Is there a simple formula such as a X amount of £££ per acre of ground or something similar?

The ground is mixed arable and woodland and contains mainly roe with occasional red deer.

Forgive my ignorance if the answer to my question is very obvious but I have been exceptionally lucky and not had to pay for stalking before.

Cheers, Woollyback

forget size, it's the number of deer that's important. Say that a roe is worth £50-£100 and if you expected to shoot 5 them say then you have a price range to work with.

£1 per acre per annum is a good starting point if it's mainly Roe Deer but you could pay up to 3/4 times that if it's good ground and if your farmer was to advertise it on here I am certain he would get £4 per acre, demand definitely outstrips supply at the moment for stalking ground.

Last edited:
, demand definitely outstrips supply at the moment for stalking ground.[/QUOTE]

very true

hi,

​renting land from farmers can be difficult especially when trying to get a satisfactory arrangement.
You will need to ask about access and membership numbers.
There may be an issue regarding insurances too.
If the farmer has a good number of deer i would suggest you half the game dealers revenue with him.
Failing that i would suggest you pay the farmer per deer shot or per stalk you take on his land.

​good luck with it

Agree with Paul at Barony cost is not dependent on acreage but number and species of deer likely to be culled per season. As a rough guide FC charge £100/deer for roe. It's a sellers market!

It is not so much the cost per acre, that can easily be agree at anything between £1 and £10/acre, it is what is that piece of land worth in terms of "I want that land". Whatever you agree to pay there is always somebody out there willing to pay more especially if it is good ground. Always get something in writing defining all the conditions, the period of time over which you have the rights to stalk etc That way it cannot end in tears when somebody with a big fat wallet comes snooping.

I am looking to acquire new stalking ground and have some local farmers which are interested in renting out the stalking on their ground. The stalking I have currently was achieved by working up the ranks starting with pigeons then foxes then asking nicely for the deer so I have never paid rent for stalking before. The farmers who are interested have also never rented their stalking so we are at a stale mate, neither of us know what a suitable figure actually is!

Is there a simple formula such as a X amount of £££ per acre of ground or something similar?

The ground is mixed arable and woodland and contains mainly roe with occasional red deer.

Forgive my ignorance if the answer to my question is very obvious but I have been exceptionally lucky and not had to pay for stalking before.

Cheers, Woollyback

If you're offering your farmer a service by controlling the deer on his land than I fail to see why you should pay for it.

My own arrangements with farmers are that I don't charge them, but I will bring them some of their own butchered venison from time to time, typically about a third of my venison goes back to my farmers; a third goes to friends and families, and a third (yes, the prime cuts ;) are for me!

If your land owner expects payment he is likely to end up with a trophie hunter who is not necessarily interested in management and conservation, the net result may be more deer on his land, not less. Or he may end up with someone who takes out paying clients who get a loaded Estate Rifle pushed in their inexperienced hands. (And before I get a torrent of objections, yes there are of course stalkers who DO manage to balance trophies, conservation, management and clients)

to the OP.

You're in a great position to bargain. say you will pay 25p per acre in the first year to establish the quality of the ground, then agree a fixed 5 year deal next season.

no need to go offering more than you know it's worth, or setting the bar too high from inception.

Back