Trying to help my friend

chris .222

A good friend of mine is looking at buying my .222 as I'm going up to a 22-250
he has had his fac for about 10 years his fao has said he needs suitable land to shot on as he only has about 20 acres which he uses his .22 any advise would be great on how if any there is a way around this ?

You say your moving up to a 22-250 so you have land yourself to shoot on , so let him use your land for your old .222 to get passed off on (simples)

Two ways :-

Get more land (not easy I know)

Join a rifle club & apply for it as for target use initially - until he has some more land.

Its a bit like chicken & egg - you need a rifle to get permissions for fox shooting, but can't get them till you have the rifle & plod won't grant a certificate until he has somewhere to shoot. Soo the rifle club route may be necessary to break the deadlock.

​Ian

Hi mate, your no doubt aware of this already, but your friend obviously needs to be able to justify his 'need' for the .222 . . . . 20 acres is like a postage stamp . . . what quarry does he intend shooting ?

I don't think there is anyway 'around it' as such, other than to get suitable ground to justify the rifle, or maybe join a target club ?

The Police don't seems so keen these days to grant rifles on the basis of the ocassional paid stalk either. . . {something I agree with - tin hat on} :D

Last edited:
He does come out with me but don't want to ask the land owner I shoot on for any one else to have it on there ticket he might get funny ?

He does come out with me but don't want to ask the land owner I shoot on for any one else to have it on there ticket he might get funny ?
if you don't ask you don't get, he can only say no , go ahead you will probably be pleasantly surprised

If the 20 acres is suitable and safe for the calibre them why no get it cleared? 20 acres isn't exactly a small amount of land as my old neighbour has 17 acres and a number of calibre's are cleared for it up to 308 as he needs to deal with foxes and deer an there are plenty of backstops.

You don't need 100/ 1000's of acres as a justification :)

He's been shooting 10yrs and only has 20acres of ground to shoot on? surely there must be someone else in Oxfordshire with a pest problem? tell him to get out knocking on farm doors.

The trouble with his land is there is a main road running the length of if and another road on one end with a by way the other so really you could only shot towards the neighbouring fields from a high seat

The trouble with his land is there is a main road running the length of if and another road on one end with a by way the other so really you could only shot towards the neighbouring fields from a high seat
You've already answered your own question get some high seats up, not a fortune or easily made plans available on here even.

Hi mate, your no doubt aware of this already, but your friend obviously needs to be able to justify his 'need' for the .222 . . . . 20 acres is like a postage stamp . . . what quarry does he intend shooting ?

I don't think there is anyway 'around it' as such, other than to get suitable ground to justify the rifle, or maybe join a target club ?

The Police don't seems so keen these days to grant rifles on the basis of the ocassional paid stalk either. . . {something I agree with - tin hat on} :D
Not sure you are going to make friends with this one, but you may influence people,........... I used to know a pretty well off guy who had some large calibres in the safe, never fired a shot in the UK though, his "paid" stalks were under a month or two's African sun.;)

Two ways :-

Get more land (not easy I know)

Join a rifle club & apply for it as for target use initially - until he has some more land.

Its a bit like chicken & egg - you need a rifle to get permissions for fox shooting, but can't get them till you have the rifle & plod won't grant a certificate until he has somewhere to shoot. Soo the rifle club route may be necessary to break the deadlock

I was wondering about doing something similar, but wasn't sure it would really work. If you applied for a .308 or as in this case a .222 and you had stated you wanted it for target shooting (and let's assume that you intended to do some target shooting), could you shoot it on land where there the owner/resident stalker had permission to use the same calibre, and you had been given permission to shoot? (Obviously you wouldn't be able to purchase expanding ammunition, and I doubt you'd be able to purchase a 'mod...)

Have people here successfully used the target shooting justification, and then been able to "move up" to using the same weapon on live quarry?

Anyway I'll stop here as I don't wish to hijack the thread.

I Would think that if you only had it for target shooting they you couldn't use it anywhere else unless you had an open licence I think but am not sure

Not sure you are going to make friends with this one, but you may influence people,........... I used to know a pretty well off guy who had some large calibres in the safe, never fired a shot in the UK though, his "paid" stalks were under a month or two's African sun.;)

You make a fair point mate . . .what they seem to have issue with up this neck of the woods is an individual applying for a FAC or specific rifle off the back of a couple of paid stalks, with no other land available to them.

Back