Thread: A fair exchange with FGYT

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)

A fair exchange with FGYT

Last year I made contact with Duncan aka FGYT to find out if he wanted to do an exchange for one of his hand made knives.
    Duncan although a shooter had never been deer stalking before.
    I have taken many people for their first deer. Couple this with the fact that Duncan only lives 30 mins away then you can see that this was a match made in heaven.........nearly. The man is nearly my nemisis, only joking Dunc.
    The outing(s) started back in August of last year.
    We started off with a range session to get Dunc used to firing the gun. We were easily inside of a 4" target so after 15-20 rounds we thought we better get out there.
    The buck that I had lined up for pheasantsniper was to be our target. Sadly due to his bereavement he couldn't make it. We pulled up at the venue and proceeded to stalk along a hedge that I knew a buck frequented. The field had been recently cut for haylage so visibility was good. About 3/4 the way along the hedge I suddenly spied the buck. Oh god I thought this is gonna be the worlds quickest deal as we'd only been out of the car for maybe 5 mins. The buck though had seen us. I got Dunc onto the sticks as fast as I could but as luck would have it he was standing in front of a rather large swath of grass and Dunc to his credit said that he couldn't get a clear shot. After maybe 20secs the buck decided he'd had enough and away he went. That's okay maybe I'll call him.............. oh hell, the bloody tractors and balers have turned up to do their stuff. So off we go to another ground
    We arrive at the next ground and I immediately take Dunc to a good area where I know there has been some good activity. However, just not today. We proceed to stalk the area and promptly bump into a group of Sika.........hinds we track them for a while hoping that there is a pricket amongst them but it would seem not. It is getting dark now and we withdraw and start to make our way to the car. As we come over the hill standing in the middle of the field is a huge Sika stag on his own. I get Dunc ready but the light is poor, it is also downhill and sadly he misses.
    So the doe season arrives and arrangements are made to try for a doe. Another outing happens without success. Now I'm getting frustrated. I'm trying all the tricks and nothing seems to be helping.
    Yet another meeting is arranged in February and this time I call in the big guns. Well a favour from a mate actually and he needs a carcass. I work directly opposite his ground and see deer there all the time. I've shot deer there, we have a pheasant shoot there, I know what's there!!
    So Dunc and I go stalking there in February and see.............Roe Bucks Three of them in buck group. Oh and two does just leaving the ground Dunc your gonna bring me down
    We get back to the car and go to a neighbouring ground. Once again we get stalking and unfortunately bump a doe from a dense gorse patch. However our luck is about to change.
    We change direction and stalk down a river as we round a bend we look back and there feeding on a hedge is a doe. Now I go into full guide mode.
    Backing up constantly watching the doe we make our way to the hedge she is feeding on. We close the distance quickly. She is feeding with a buck. The wind is good and we get to within 50m. Again Dunc is on the sticks and now it is down to him. Eventually she turns broadside and Dunc lets rip. She immediately jumps and takes off but crashes after 10m into a ditch. Hurrah!!
    Dunc will on reading this post some pics as I forgot my phone. But I do have some of the great knife he has made me.
    I forget the steel he has has used but I know it is stainless and the handle is carbon fibre.
    Thank you Duncan. It has been used in anger on 3x Muntjac and 2x Roe bucks so far and just to end the story of my nemsis, I invited Duncan out to cull a yearling buck in April. We arrived at the permission on a really nice morning. The buck had been seen along with 3x other bucks and 2x does. We were looking for the doe. We found the doe. And just 1x doe.
    Then this week gone in the pi--ing down rain I took a client to the same place for quick look and there was the 2x does, a nice 6pt buck and the cull buck. We shot the 6pt.........the little one's still there Duncan.
    Last edited by teyhan1; 13-05-2013 at 21:26.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

I good read, and an even better knife

Neil.

Nice write up and a great knife. But I suspect your missus is going to be pissed with the hole in the work top. Hope he gets on the buck soon.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    Nice write up and a great knife. But I suspect your missus is going to be pissed with the hole in the work top. Hope he gets on the buck soon.
    Its the chopping board and she owns the half that has the cooker on it. This half is mine
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Top man. Make sure she Keeps your half clean as well.