Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bogey buck

bogey buck

Anyone have an animal that just seems to be protected by the gods - which you feel you're just destined never to get?

There's a big buck on my permission who I've been trying to shoot for over a year. I've been barked at from the undergrowth by him countless times, spotted and stalked him 6 times, and got to within 50m of him 4 times.

Worse, I've actually shot at him 3 times, and missed every time - most recently this morning (I nearly wept). All three misses have been entirely my fault - the same unforced error all three times (and one which I only seem to make when he's the one in the cross hairs): I squeeze the trigger too hard to early, so the shot fires before I'm ready and goes wildly high. I can't understand it: it's never happened when I've been shooting at any other animal (came away this morning with 2 smaller bucks, both taken at much longer range).

One day...

you got the buck fever or red mist or in your case three red missed (roe)
    you will have him one day

and it will be the best stalk of your life well ern't
    atb

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I have a habit of naming the bucks that have been difficult to get.
    We have pond buck a very seldom seen buck - he now resides in denmark and was a Gold medal
    W have scruffy buck named as he always looked like he been dragged through a hedge backwards- who someone said they'd shot but I know they didn't as he's on my wall maybe a bronze
    And at the moment we have river buck- should be in Denmark but danes clearly think a buck in velvet is larger than one that is clean!! He has been running around for 3 seasons missed 3x and strangely hasn't been seen this season
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

A large muntjac buck, he is always to wise for me. He rarely leaves cover and when he does, its not long enough for a shot. I guess that's how is has got to be as big as he has.

​Tom

as Paul o says you have got buck fever it happens to us all lol, and most of the time it happens when you got the medal deer in your sights, lol,

I reckon as you're not that far away from me you should invite me over and I'll shoot him for you.I won't even charge you cause I'm a good guy.

Its definetively buck fever!.... And to be honest: I love it!
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

maybe you have had your chances and time to give him some peace and look for another animal? you will probably be dissappointed if/ when you do account for him!

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
    I reckon as you're not that far away from me you should invite me over and I'll shoot him for you.I won't even charge you cause I'm a good guy.
    So thoughtful and generous of you!

Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    maybe you have had your chances and time to give him some peace and look for another animal? you will probably be dissappointed if/ when you do account for him!
    I actually had given up on him, and just happened to come upon him yesterday morning by chance. Perfect shot - can't have been more than 40m, and he was completely unaware of me. I'm still grinding my teeth...