Thread: Tracking training criteria

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)

Tracking training criteria

In light of the recent discussions about putting together a dogs for deer tracking register, it became clear that there had to be some form of testing so that people would become proficient and that stalkers might become more confident in using a service.
    I don't know if many people have come across this site but it gives some good information and goes into depth about tracking criteria and testing methods.
    I'm just the messenger so please don't shoot me down in flames but I thought it could be usefull

http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/i...&id=6&Itemid=9
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Thanks T 1.
    We have looked for many years now, and some of the more involved in this have agreed to a meeting soon, to discus the way forward which best suits the situation here in the UK. A system of training and testing that will lead to a register of Tracking teams capable of assisting all involved with wounded/ injured deer and boar in every situation, with respect. Believe me we have looked at just about everything involved with tracking, worldwide because what suits one is not suitable to another as you will have seen whenever a post on tracking and Scent hounds appears on here, but thanks anyway.

​ Regards Widu.
    TO STRIVE, TO SEEK, TO FIND. AND NEVER TO YIELD.

Blog Entries
    I agree. It is however IMO a good blueprint which could be adapted to suit.
    What I found useful was that if a similar register got up and running then the way of achieving different grades of competance (in the training section down the bottom) could be aimed for and registered against each dog, therefore allowing anybody using the service to see exactly what that dog can actually do.
    Quote Originally Posted by widu View Post
    Thanks T 1.
    We have looked for many years now, and some of the more involved in this have agreed to a meeting soon, to discus the way forward which best suits the situation here in the UK. A system of training and testing that will lead to a register of Tracking teams capable of assisting all involved with wounded/ injured deer and boar in every situation, with respect. Believe me we have looked at just about everything involved with tracking, worldwide because what suits one is not suitable to another as you will have seen whenever a post on tracking and Scent hounds appears on here, but thanks anyway.

​ Regards Widu.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

T 1.
    Great that you are interested and have your opinion but what about all the other systems registers , test's, etc, in use in other places. Let's not just advocate one way or another just yet believe us it is not that simple.
    ​ Regards WIDU.

Blog Entries
    T 1.
    Great that you are interested and have your opinion but what about all the other systems registers , test's, etc, in use in other places. Let's not just advocate one way or another just yet believe us it is not that simple.
    ​ Regards WIDU.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating one system over another or saying one is better than another. I have just yet to see one that's so transparent

Glad your so happy about it, but there are others just as transparent not that I really see what you are trying to say about others not being as transparent.Pray tell which ones are not in your opinion. Just interested that's all.

​ Regards WIDU.

Blog Entries
    I haven't seen any others so clearly saying what your dog has to do to achieve such and such a level. Do you have any other websites or accessible info I/we can look at?

Thanks T 1.

​ Regards Widu.
    teyhan,

As widu says when all interested party's meet to talk about what maybe required here in the uk, it will probably mean cherry picking bits from a few tried and tested systems that will best suit our needs here in the UK.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    I haven't seen any others so clearly saying what your dog has to do to achieve such and such a level. Do you have any other websites or accessible info I/we can look at?
    Years ago when I first started looking into any such register
    i spoke to John J who set up deer search
    he actually directed me to UBT as it was something he had been involved in setting up and was a greater association than Deer search
    but also suggested that I look at the French system as that may be more suited to my needs
    i actually like the Danish system and hav done for years
    but do agree UBT do provide a lot of info via their site
    and is very clear to a point
    something I believe will work well in the UK as and when....but obviously to suit us and our needs