Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Larders

Larders

Can anyone tell me why the "proper" larders we see for sale are so bloody expensive!
    Its not exactly rocket science to make them but all the suppliers to folk like ourselves charge a fortune!
    Surely someone out there can do as good a job for a fraction of the price

Any thoughts???

http://www.storeitcold.com/index.php this looks a good idea , insulate a shed , use this to convert an air conditioning unit, problem is its expensive and in the USA, maybe someone on the site will know how to convert the a/c unit without the box of tricks

larder

Hi before I started in trading venison I bought a second hand tall fridge for domistic use took out all the stuff from inside then put a metal bar in the upper most part of the fridge where the shelf would have gone and found I could hang deer weighing up to about 50kg only one though or 2 roe or 3 muntjac the fridge only cost 80 you can control the temp as well if you bought a second hand american till one there no reason why why should not be able to hang 80kg in there and seen theses going for about 100 now. most second hand electricl stores do them with a guarrentee as well.hope this helps.

Rather than use a box of tricks to control the ac unit, you could set it to run at full steam, then use a thermostatic switch set at your choice of temp to switch it on and off.

Larders

If you run an AC unit for to long trying to get below 6C you will have a disaster with liquid going back to the compressor and it will destroy the compressor and it will cost you more than it is worth to repair, because AC units chill at 6.5C and only have an 80% duty cycle but I will look at the American web site and see if we can do it cheaper.

larders

I looked at the american web site and you can buy a controler to do the same job in this country for about 240 but you have to use a through the window AC unit as its not an AC unit its a chiller in disguise if you need more information just ask its my job.

"Can anyone tell me why the "proper" larders we see for sale are so bloody expensive!"
    Tell me about it!! We got the first Tarrant chiller to be fitted in Scotland a few years back and it was a grand total of five and a half grand!

Mark.

Re: Larders

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog
    If you run an AC unit for to long trying to get below 6C you will have a disaster with liquid going back to the compressor and it will destroy the compressor and it will cost you more than it is worth to repair, because AC units chill at 6.5C and only have an 80% duty cycle but I will look at the American web site and see if we can do it cheaper.
    but if you get it converted to run on refridgeration gas
    then it will go as cold as you need it
    just remember R22 is now no longer available

Larders

the cost of converting an AC unit from R22 to another gas is expensive.
    In answer to stone R22 is available until 2011 and there is a replacement available

Sikadog, I have a Danfoss Blue star, It needs re-gassing and i would also like to connect self sealing couplings from the compressor to the fans. Is this possible and how much would it cost? This is a new unit and has been run for 1 week only!