Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Wild Boar Cull in Forest of Dean

  1. #1

    Wild Boar Cull in Forest of Dean

    The Forestry Commission is due to carry out what is expected to be its biggest cull of wild boar in the Forest of Dean later this year.

    The population has grown dramatically over the past decade, along with the number of complaints about the damage they do.

    Does anyone know how we would be allowed to join the cull?

    Anybody from the Forestry Commision here??

  2. #2
    We ain't got a snowballs chance in hell, if they don't do it themselves they'll get a contractor in & spend shitloads of money on it instead of leasing it out & making a shitload of money, totally logical isn't it?

  3. #3
    well, join in no chance.... stalk the rangers though and see how they're doing it. Cages I bet!

  4. #4
    Regular Poster KBar1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Suffolk [North; where the pines and pigs are]
    Posts
    344
    I've posted elsewhere on here that if the Frosty Commission get the slightest whiff of moola, then it'll be stitched up tight and no-one but high-rollers will be able to get in

    I fancy using the exemption under the Hunting Act 2004 where you can use a couple of Hounds to flush to a gun (or as many Hounds as you like to flush to a bird of prey...now THAT would be exciting)

  5. #5
    If I'm not mistaken all/any Free Forester has the right to hunt in the Forrest and take 1 tree any tree each year so find 1 that will take you out and say he/she shot it, lol.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    well, join in no chance.... stalk the rangers though and see how they're doing it. Cages I bet!
    Bit of a coincidence. I was speaking to someone from the Forest of Dean on Monday about the proposed cull. Now I can't substanciate anything said, but he did inform me that the FC have been using very large cage traps to catch sows with piglets. He went on to say that the Boars' are very hard to trap, so are being shot.

    I would like to know how they are destroying the animals once trapped as it was suggested that the trapped animals were being removed alive and transported elsewhere. Also what they are going to do with the carcases, if they are going into the food chain are they being tested for trichinella first?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by 270wsm View Post
    Bit of a coincidence. I was speaking to someone from the Forest of Dean on Monday about the proposed cull. Now I can't substanciate anything said, but he did inform me that the FC have been using very large cage traps to catch sows with piglets. He went on to say that the Boars' are very hard to trap, so are being shot.

    I would like to know how they are destroying the animals once trapped as it was suggested that the trapped animals were being removed alive and transported elsewhere. Also what they are going to do with the carcases, if they are going into the food chain are they being tested for trichinella first?
    I fear there is a bit of misinformation being supplied to you here 270wsm. Yes, FC do use large cage traps and this has, I believe, proven far more successful than shooting. They only carry out control of any sort Sept to Dec to try and avoid culling animals with dependant young and I also believe that they modified the design of the cage trap a couple of years ago to try and prevent injury to any piglets trapped with a sow. It is quite possible to still capture sows with dependant young during their "open" season and I hope if they do so that all animals are released but i cannot confirm this and still fear injury to piglets and issues with estranged young. Suitable animals trapped are shot (pistol) and no doubt end up in the food chain just like the large volumes of deer the FC cull each year. FC have been, by far, the largest user of the AHVLA trichinella testing service in recent years so one must assume that all animals culled are tested.

    The Forest of Dean has full open public access and is heavily used as such. FC will be very concerned about health and safety as well as PR and I really cannot see a day any time soon when private stalkers will get access as FC have 4 full time rangers who culled 150+ in 2011 and 100+ last year. I am no apologist for FC and have some concerns of my own over this but profit will not be the motive in this instance as I am sure it actually costs them money to do it!

    100 * 100 average carcass value = 10,000 and 4 rangers, kit and vehicles will be a lot more than this!

    Lets hope they don't hit em too hard.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Penyard View Post
    I fear there is a bit of misinformation being supplied to you here 270wsm. Yes, FC do use large cage traps and this has, I believe, proven far more successful than shooting. They only carry out control of any sort Sept to Dec to try and avoid culling animals with dependant young and I also believe that they modified the design of the cage trap a couple of years ago to try and prevent injury to any piglets trapped with a sow. It is quite possible to still capture sows with dependant young during their "open" season and I hope if they do so that all animals are released but i cannot confirm this and still fear injury to piglets and issues with estranged young. Suitable animals trapped are shot (pistol) and no doubt end up in the food chain just like the large volumes of deer the FC cull each year. FC have been, by far, the largest user of the AHVLA trichinella testing service in recent years so one must assume that all animals culled are tested.

    The Forest of Dean has full open public access and is heavily used as such. FC will be very concerned about health and safety as well as PR and I really cannot see a day any time soon when private stalkers will get access as FC have 4 full time rangers who culled 150+ in 2011 and 100+ last year. I am no apologist for FC and have some concerns of my own over this but profit will not be the motive in this instance as I am sure it actually costs them money to do it!

    100 * 100 average carcass value = 10,000 and 4 rangers, kit and vehicles will be a lot more than this!

    Lets hope they don't hit em too hard.
    I'm sure that if the FC have taken the time and expense to capture any wild bore, they aren't going to release them in another area to cause them problems again. Be it male, female or young they'll all be culled.

  9. #9
    Gaz, I think you may be wrong. I believe that sows with dependant young caught in traps are released, every thing else gets a bullet. As i have said, control takes place at a time of year when less dependant young about. I am not aware of any relocations. This is a very hot potato locally and FC very keen to strike the balance between control and acting ethically. The PR fall out from trying to round up piglets from a trapped sow in an area with lots of public access is probably not something any agency wants to get caught up in.

  10. #10
    I think your looking at it with Rose tinted glasses M8 the FC aren't at all interested in the ethical methods it just job done thats why their contractors are paid the same for a fawn, or a buck & they keep getting licences for deer to be shot on the lamp supposidly for control purposes when they cull they cull everything indiscriminately.

    Quote Originally Posted by Penyard View Post
    Gaz, I think you may be wrong. I believe that sows with dependant young caught in traps are released, every thing else gets a bullet. As i have said, control takes place at a time of year when less dependant young about. I am not aware of any relocations. This is a very hot potato locally and FC very keen to strike the balance between control and acting ethically. The PR fall out from trying to round up piglets from a trapped sow in an area with lots of public access is probably not something any agency wants to get caught up in.

Similar Threads

  1. Forest of Dean Cull
    By paul k in forum Wild Boar
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 20-05-2017, 16:53
  2. Forest of Dean Wild Boar
    By SecretStalker.308 in forum Wild Boar
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-01-2013, 23:14
  3. New cull target in Forest of Dean
    By yorksjt in forum Wild Boar
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-09-2012, 16:12
  4. Cull in Forest of Dean
    By jack in forum Wild Boar
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-09-2011, 21:12
  5. Boar kills greyhound in the Forest Of Dean
    By BenB in forum Wild Boar
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-06-2010, 10:29

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •