Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Why stainless ?

  1. #1

    Why stainless ?

    Just wondering what peoples pro's and cons are for stainles vs blue rifles ?.

    fraser

  2. #2
    My pro is i can rust a blue gun in a day as my skin ph is strong and blood won't damage it aswell

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    My pro is i can rust a blue gun in a day as my skin ph is strong and blood won't damage it aswell
    Yup... +1....go one better than both and get Ilaflon coated....

  4. #4
    blued looks good, stainless only looks decent if it's on a synthetic stock. hot caustic blueing wears off and comes off if you get blood on it, it also rusts. stainless also rusts contrary to popular belief.

    decent bluing, ie. slow rust bluing (my personal favourite) cannot rust, and will not come off if you get blood on it, it's what SS wishes it was, AND it looks good..it's proper bluing.

    spray/bake on coats are horrid IMHO. they don't look 'right' and yes, they do eventually start to flake and chip...so just get a proper rust bluing once and for all
    Last edited by pietasvenatores; 15-05-2013 at 09:26.
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by pietasvenatores View Post
    blued looks good, stainless only looks decent if it's on a synthetic stock. hot caustic blueing wears off and comes off if you get blood on it, it also rusts. stainless also rusts contrary to popular belief.

    decent bluing, ie. slow rust bluing (my personal favourite) cannot rust, and will not come off if you get blood on it, it's what SS wishes it was, AND it looks good..it's proper bluing.

    spray/bake on coats are horrid IMHO. they don't look 'right' and yes, they do eventually start to flake and chip...so just get a proper rust bluing once and for all
    But how do you tell proper blueing?
    ps...still sorry I missed that cz you were selling.

  6. #6
    you'll usually find rust bluing on high end guns only as it cannot be done on an economy of scale or factory line basis, it's often a more deep carbon grey without the blue shine, and when oiled it takes a deeper black appearance. if carded at higher speeds and polished with finer wet/dry in preparation, it can take a more high shine finish like those on fine H&H or Purdey sidelocks. the oil mixture you use to submerge the barrels in can also play a role in the exact colour.

    Rust bluing converts any metal capable of rusting into magnatite, which means they literally cannot rust more :-)

    also very useful for older and vintage guns with brazing as the temps used in caustic can cause them to break or become so weak usage becomes dangerous.

    once you've seen a few you'll know what they look like.


    ..that said, there are private individuals who offer rust bluing commercially in the industry, myself included from later this summer. Many smiths take over £200 to dip a barrel into caustic bluing, IMHO that's pretty steep for what it involves, I am looking to deliver a proper barrelled action slow rust blue at around £250, I think prices elsewhere can reach up to over £650.

    Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    But how do you tell proper blueing?
    ps...still sorry I missed that cz you were selling.
    Last edited by pietasvenatores; 15-05-2013 at 09:45.
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

  7. #7
    Spay on coatings in particular ceramics do last and last well, I've done 100s with no complaints since 2007. Depending on how well they done, they can look superb.

    I too am in the process of looking at offering rust blueing to go along side the other projects.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    .

    I too am in the process of looking at offering rust blueing to go along side the other projects.
    funny how you just came to mention that! LOL
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by pietasvenatores View Post
    .


    ..that said, there are private individuals who offer rust bluing commercially in the industry, myself included from later this summer. .
    As did you....

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    As did you....

    Indeed, and it was said tongue in cheek and without judgement, hence the wink. On another note, and not saying JagerSA is guilty, what I find so amusing about some people on the SD is that if someone mentions they offer XYZ services or sell ABC, then suddenly other people jump in and go 'Oh so do I, so do I and even cheaper,'...LOL..

    I don't judge, I just find it funny. My favourite is Saddler (and others), seems every time I used to advertise my fine leatherware items on here, the next post on the SD was one from him (or others) funnily enough advertising leatherware, at cheaper prices, almost using my advert as a means to generate sales by offering lower quality (and cheaper) products when the subject is prevalent.

    hence I've now cut my Trade membership off for a while whilst I consider if it's commercially viable.
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

Similar Threads

  1. *SOLD* Tikka/Sako Stainless Optilock Bases with Medium 30mm stainless rings
    By Vipa in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-02-2012, 21:02
  2. Stainless mounts?
    By forrestfarrier in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19-12-2011, 23:36
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-10-2011, 12:15
  4. Swap Stainless stud
    By sikadog in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-09-2011, 08:45
  5. Wanted Stainless Moderator
    By tartinjock in forum Firearms
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-01-2011, 13:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •