Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK Deer Stalking ??

UK Deer Stalking ??

Hello.
    I currently live in New Zealand, but will be returning to the UK later this year.
    I do not possess a UK Fire Arms License, and was wondering about a few things I have seen on this site!
    It seems to me that just about everyone is either getting paid or paying someone to take deer for profit.
    As it is we, me and many more in New Zealand hunt to put food on the table (and of course some Bone on the wall) whether that be Venison, Pig or Goat meat
    Are there issues in the UK that prevent this?? If I was to try and obtain a FAC in the UK it would be solely for Hunting Deer
    to fill my Freezer. From what I have heard about the Quantities of Deer in the UK I believe I would be eating well.
    Please feel free to correct me if I am Wrong in my assumptions.

Kevin.

Kevin finding free deer stalking in the uk is very difficult most of the land is either tied up by large estates or large forestry companies at the moment over the last few years deer stalking has really took off with lots of new stalkers looking for land you would probably have to try and join a syndicate somewhere or go on paid days stalking that would be your best bet to obtain a firearms cert hope that answers a few questions for you
    ​ Good luck tom

Where in the UK are you moving to? stalking varies quite a lot, geographically, across the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo8 View Post
    Where in the UK are you moving to? stalking varies quite a lot, geographically, across the UK
    ​Thanks for your reply Tom.
    Hello Buckeroo8
    Unfortunately thats a little undecided. My wife is Welsh and would love to go back to South Wales.
    If thats the case then maybe Carmarthenshire, where we know a few Farmers how own quite large properties, though not sure at this point
    whether they have deer on them.Though I know they have loads of rabbits.
    Personally I am from South Yorkshire, and am in touch with my family over there, where my brother tells me that there are plenty of deer on Common land, woods etc.
    What are the rules where this is concerned.

Kevin

Realistically, you'll be looking for private land on which to stalk. Yorkshire has some of the best stalking in the country but mainly on large estates that are difficult/expensive to get shooting on.
    Wales isn't known for having excellent deer stalking but the deer populations are getting bigger. There are maps on the BDS website showing deer distribution:http://www.bds.org.uk/great_british_...1_results.html

Yeah ! thanks I have seen these maps before. heaps of fallow in Wales.
    Looks like I will have to go small ( bunnies) first then try to upgrade though I would love to be able to bring my .308 over from NZ.

Kevin.
    Last edited by yorky07; 16-05-2013 at 07:07.

Quote Originally Posted by yorky07 View Post
    Hello.
    I currently live in New Zealand, but will be returning to the UK later this year.
    I do not possess a UK Fire Arms License, and was wondering about a few things I have seen on this site!
    It seems to me that just about everyone is either getting paid or paying someone to take deer for profit.
    As it is we, me and many more in New Zealand hunt to put food on the table (and of course some Bone on the wall) whether that be Venison, Pig or Goat meat
    Are there issues in the UK that prevent this?? If I was to try and obtain a FAC in the UK it would be solely for Hunting Deer
    to fill my Freezer. From what I have heard about the Quantities of Deer in the UK I believe I would be eating well.
    Please feel free to correct me if I am Wrong in my assumptions.

Kevin.
    Hi Kevin,
    I see from your introduction you will only be returning to blightly for 2 years, i assume then returning to NZ?
    That could be a good bargaining chip to perhaps swap a hunt with someone over here?
    It could take a while to get issued a FAC over, or perhaps not at all, so your options could be very limited, vistors permit maybe available?
    But with friends who own farms in Wales you might be ok.
    I plan on visiting NZ in the next few years, but the South Island is the place we are attracted to.
    Cheers
    Richard

If I were living abroad but visiting UK for two years I would try to take good/representative heads of all 6 UK deer species in that time!
    swapping sounds like a good plan or we have some excellent and comparatively affordable professional guides in the UK which saves all the hassle of applying for a FAC etc.

Cheers Richard.
    Yes the south is fantastic hunting not only on Private land. You can get some very big heads of Doc controlled land if you look into where you wish to hunt.
    Try this Forum for info. http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
    The North Island has its good points to> Sika

​Kevin

Hi Kevin, I'm from Carmarthenshire and yes there are fallow here but not heaps! Most of the ground is covered by stalkers - it's not easy to get ground with deer on it, good luck.