UK Deer Stalking ??

yorky07

Hello.
I currently live in New Zealand, but will be returning to the UK later this year.
I do not possess a UK Fire Arms License, and was wondering about a few things I have seen on this site!
It seems to me that just about everyone is either getting paid or paying someone to take deer for profit.
As it is we, me and many more in New Zealand hunt to put food on the table (and of course some Bone on the wall) whether that be Venison, Pig or Goat meat
Are there issues in the UK that prevent this?? If I was to try and obtain a FAC in the UK it would be solely for Hunting Deer
to fill my Freezer. From what I have heard about the Quantities of Deer in the UK I believe I would be eating well.
Please feel free to correct me if I am Wrong in my assumptions.

Kevin.

Kevin finding free deer stalking in the uk is very difficult most of the land is either tied up by large estates or large forestry companies at the moment over the last few years deer stalking has really took off with lots of new stalkers looking for land you would probably have to try and join a syndicate somewhere or go on paid days stalking that would be your best bet to obtain a firearms cert hope that answers a few questions for you
​ Good luck tom

Where in the UK are you moving to? stalking varies quite a lot, geographically, across the UK
​Thanks for your reply Tom.
Hello Buckeroo8
Unfortunately thats a little undecided. My wife is Welsh and would love to go back to South Wales.
If thats the case then maybe Carmarthenshire, where we know a few Farmers how own quite large properties, though not sure at this point
whether they have deer on them.Though I know they have loads of rabbits.
Personally I am from South Yorkshire, and am in touch with my family over there, where my brother tells me that there are plenty of deer on Common land, woods etc.
What are the rules where this is concerned.

Kevin

Realistically, you'll be looking for private land on which to stalk. Yorkshire has some of the best stalking in the country but mainly on large estates that are difficult/expensive to get shooting on.
Wales isn't known for having excellent deer stalking but the deer populations are getting bigger. There are maps on the BDS website showing deer distribution:http://www.bds.org.uk/great_british_deer_survey_2011_results.html

Yeah ! thanks I have seen these maps before. heaps of fallow in Wales.
Looks like I will have to go small ( bunnies) first then try to upgrade though I would love to be able to bring my .308 over from NZ.

Kevin.

Last edited:
Hello.
I currently live in New Zealand, but will be returning to the UK later this year.
I do not possess a UK Fire Arms License, and was wondering about a few things I have seen on this site!
It seems to me that just about everyone is either getting paid or paying someone to take deer for profit.
As it is we, me and many more in New Zealand hunt to put food on the table (and of course some Bone on the wall) whether that be Venison, Pig or Goat meat
Are there issues in the UK that prevent this?? If I was to try and obtain a FAC in the UK it would be solely for Hunting Deer
to fill my Freezer. From what I have heard about the Quantities of Deer in the UK I believe I would be eating well.
Please feel free to correct me if I am Wrong in my assumptions.

Kevin.
Hi Kevin,
I see from your introduction you will only be returning to blightly for 2 years, i assume then returning to NZ?
That could be a good bargaining chip to perhaps swap a hunt with someone over here?
It could take a while to get issued a FAC over, or perhaps not at all, so your options could be very limited, vistors permit maybe available?
But with friends who own farms in Wales you might be ok.
I plan on visiting NZ in the next few years, but the South Island is the place we are attracted to.
Cheers
Richard

If I were living abroad but visiting UK for two years I would try to take good/representative heads of all 6 UK deer species in that time!
swapping sounds like a good plan or we have some excellent and comparatively affordable professional guides in the UK which saves all the hassle of applying for a FAC etc.

Cheers Richard.
Yes the south is fantastic hunting not only on Private land. You can get some very big heads of Doc controlled land if you look into where you wish to hunt.
Try this Forum for info. http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
The North Island has its good points to> Sika

​Kevin

Hi Kevin, I'm from Carmarthenshire and yes there are fallow here but not heaps! Most of the ground is covered by stalkers - it's not easy to get ground with deer on it, good luck.

If you want to roam the uk at will, taking whichever deer you like, whenever you like, without fear of laws, rules, regs or permission, then just buy yourself a Subaru Legacy and a Lurcher and call yourself some ancient Romany name and the uk is your oyster :rofl:

Haha LOL
I am really sorry Crosshair243 if I gave that impression. First of all let me say though I have broken the law in my youth I have not since nor do I have
any intention of doing so. Nor do I intend to get into brow beating the Politics of Gun Law within the UK. I asked a few simple question if you cannot give me a reasonable response them
dont bother. I am wondering where you think you get the right to accuse me of wanting to wander where ever taking deer as I wish.

​Kevin

H Yorky where in south Yorkshire are you from? I'm in wentworth at the min, getting permission for rabbits shouldn't be too hard , deer are different and as stated you would probably have to join a syndicate , there is really no such thing as common land over here as regards hunting and shooting so yiu will need written permission from a landowner to be on the safe side, all the best,

​jim

Hello Jimbo.
I used to live in the Wickersley Area, though the areas where my Bro frequently sees Deer is in the Ravenfield ponds area .
Between Rotherham and Doncaster, and the woods etc where everyone can walk without permission.

​Kevin.

H Kevin ,
your brother is correct there are a population of roe there with the odd red passing through and it is a public right of way for walking too, but shooting is very different and yiu would need written permission from the landowner

Used to fish Ravenfield country park 20 years ago for the carp,it was/is owned by Phoenix sports and social club in Brinny.
Used to hear the Roe barking in the night in the park,along with the pot smokers on the top car park at all hours.

Yes I realise that. Thanks for your replies.
However according to Crosshair243 If I buy a Subaru and a Lurcher and change my name by deed poll I would be ok.
ROFL.

Hello Dave. I also used to have a Carp permit for the ponds about 20 to 25 years ago. My Bro still has a permit he works at Brinsworth Strip Mill.

Haha LOL
I am really sorry Crosshair243 if I gave that impression. First of all let me say though I have broken the law in my youth I have not since nor do I have
any intention of doing so. Nor do I intend to get into brow beating the Politics of Gun Law within the UK. I asked a few simple question if you cannot give me a reasonable response them
dont bother. I am wondering where you think you get the right to accuse me of wanting to wander where ever taking deer as I wish.

​Kevin
l think you missed the joke yorky. I don't think he was sniping at you.

Back