Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: an urgent phone call that turned out not to urgent after all!

an urgent phone call that turned out not to urgent after all!

i got a phone call this morning from a profesional stalker who was out with a client, they had shot a roe buck that had ran on into a wood with lots of Rhododendron's etc.

so i sped home to pick up my young teckel who's training is coming on ok (she seems to be getting board of liver drags but this is all i can do as i am waiting on a set of scent shoes and i have now dried hide), but half way to the location i got another phone call they had located the buck.
    this was great news from the bucks point of view as it was DOA so no suffering but i was disapointd not to get to track, so i asked if they could leave it and meet me at point it was shot.

when i got there i asked them not to tell me which direction it took only the rough area it was standing when it was shot.

she picked up the trail straight away and with her nose glued to the ground she was off! she crossed a burn without hesitating and picked up the trail on the other side were the buck had jumped and left a bigger spot of blood she followed it across a track around an old release pen that had the top net taken off it. she stopped at the rabbit net and looked up at me as if to say well if you want me to keep going you will have to lift me over! so i did and once again she was off.

After a couple hundered yards i could see the buck lying next to a clump of rhodys but too her credit she did not look up from the trail and followed it in a semi circle to were he fell! i was over the moon all the training we have done seems to be coming together really well after a late start. its a strange feeling hoping to get a phone call from some one that has lost a wounded deer but i am addicted to tracking with her now!
    so if any one near by needs a hand dont hesistate to get in touch!

Great for the dog mate and also something you enjoy. But yet again a PROFESSIONAL stalker without a dog taking money off of a client. If I turned up to build a house for someone and asked them for a mixer, trowels or level they would laugh at me.

Quote Originally Posted by howy308 View Post
    But yet again a PROFESSIONAL stalker without a dog taking money off of a client.
    Do you come across many stalkers without dogs? Just wondering how common this is as all the ones I know have dogs of varying ability. JC

he does have a lab that would follow a track but its not really trained more of a last resort. but then again i suppose i am quite glad he has not used his dog and phoned me as i really enjoy working my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by The mighty buck View Post
    he does have a lab that would follow a track but its not really trained more of a last resort. but then again i suppose i am quite glad he has not used his dog and phoned me as i really enjoy working my dog.
    A great result for you - and for your dog. Thanks for sharing.

As for the "dogless" stalker... did the lab find the deer, or did the stalker and client just do a very good job of tracking it themselves? Given that it had run more than a couple of hundred yards after the shot, through cover and not in a straight line, I'm not surprised that they felt they needed help, but very surprised they got a result without you!

it had gone no more than 350-400 yards they did not have a dog but cut round to the other side of the wood were they could get a better view and found it lying by chance more than any thing else.

How long before a key component of DSCL2 is that the “candidate must have a good understanding of the principals pertaining to tracking wounded deer with a dog and demonstrate such”? Or does it already?

K

well done
    If its hit its history / If its missed its a mystery

A gun is always loaded .A mule always kicks

Congratulations and well done!
    Now, there may be another dog handler offering serious tracking work in the future.... Not for selfish reasons, but for the welfare of a suffering animal and the joy of working a well trained dog!
    Thats whats its all about, guys!
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    How long before a key component of DSCL2 is that the “candidate must have a good understanding of the principals pertaining to tracking wounded deer with a dog and demonstrate such”? Or does it already?

K
    yes mate the dsc2 does have a part about follow up although its not specific about using a dog but how you go about the follow up if needed so if a dog is present its far easier to go through the process of recovery,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports