Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FHF Gear Rugged Bino Harness Review

Thumbs up FHF Gear Rugged Bino Harness Review

The last straw came on a damp October Tuesday when I found myself on hands & knees inching towards the top of a grassy knoll somewhere along the Greensand Ridge with 1,250g of Leica HDC coated glass bouncing through overly moist sheep doo doo. It was then the penny dropped for if ever a man had justification to don a bra of the sports variety this was the moment!

Back in the warmth of my den I dug out some old sales brochures detailing the cross-braced elastic bino harness that has been around for many years. I still didn’t like the look of it. The ensuing trawl of the web came up with a few alternatives including an offering from a Stalking Directory trade member but in accordance with a life-long approach for over-engineering in everything now did not seem the time to throw in the towel. Finally I spotted something promising c/o Google images and after three site jumps arrived at FHFGEAR (http://www.fhfgear.com/About_FHF_Gear.html). Paul’s kit looked seriously rugged and even better rather expensive! A month later and after being hit for a further 15 VAT + 8 UK Customs charge (ouch!) this is what I found snuggled in the USPS box:

1No. Large FHFGEAR Bino Harness Multicam

First thing to say is I should have asked and waited for the next manufacturing run of XL’s as although my 10 – 15X50 Douvids are fully covered by a size L, a little more overlap would be preferable. My second and only real criticism (may as well get it out of the way now) is that a faux suede lining would be a significant improvement over the nylon in the context of UK woodland stalking as such would be quieter.

With my binos stripped of Leica strap, objective and ocular rainguards I soon had the new connectors installed and harness adjusted. Slipping into my first Bino Bra I was immediately pleased to note there are no buckles in the area of shoulder, and the straps sit high to the neck which is a key consideration if you still expect to carry a rifle without discomfort and mishap. The next nice touch is that the quick release mechanism allows the binos to be removed from harness in seconds. This allowing them to be deployed without significant undressing when used as a makeshift rest for those difficult prone shots where a DSCL2 Assessor’s back is unavailable! There is also a centre zipped pocket that will accommodate a folded FAC, latex gloves, tissue or some other key item. The two side pouches now secure my various Nordik Predator fox and roe calls that were attached by lanyard to bino strap and often swung wildly with attendant clatter.

So to the woods and where I deliberately belly-stalked a number of rabbits through a dew-soaked meadow to ensure my new-found and ample chest encumbrance received a good taste of things to come. No problems were encountered with snagging and the shock cord closure remained that way throughout. Although the pouch is not designed to be waterproof the Leica lenses remained free of moisture during the test. Comfort is a relative thing and although anything that is strapped to the person is less than ideal, the part elastic body strap provides enough free movement for the most energetic of stalkers and far outweighs the alternative that is the nightmare of keeping hold of glasses in one hand while trying to stoop or crawl with the other.

In summery a fantastic piece of kit that does what it says on the tin; is well constructed; looks the part and addresses a very real problem for stalkers. The only downside is the cost of procuring one of Paul’s harnesses due to shipping charges to the UK and VAT/Import Duty, but perhaps some entrepreneurial SD member might find a way around this by way of bulk purchase should FHFGEAR view the UK as a viable market.

Happy and bounce-free hunts.

Klenchblaize
    Last edited by Klenchblaize; 17-05-2013 at 07:18.

Looks really good.

You cant beat a well thought out and designed bit of kit that you will wonder how you ever managed without it prior.

I have the same problem with bikes lol

KLENCHBLAIZE, perhaps you would be so kind as to point the manufacturers in the direction of our website?

Looks like something we could do well with.

This is the closest i have found to a good chest rig for accessories.

Buy Hazard 4 Ventrapack Low Profile Chest Rig - shop at suppliers Scott Country

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Country View Post
    KLENCHBLAIZE, perhaps you would be so kind as to point the manufacturers in the direction of our website?

Looks like something we could do well with.
    Best we don't take this one to the Dragons Den as clearly the Stalking Directory's 'G' Spot remains something of a mystery to this Member:

a. M------e stole my money = 10,000 Views

b. Rugged Bino Harness Review = 80 Views

K

Good review thanks. I have been thinking about something similar for ages but just not found the right thing. That does look a little heavy duty for what I have in mind, but as it looks complicated and expensive it deserves a place on my growing list of must have accessories that hardly get used.

Quote Originally Posted by howa243 View Post
    That does look a little heavy duty for what I have in mind, but as it looks complicated and expensive it deserves a place on my growing list of must have accessories that hardly get used.
    What else is a Man Den for if not to store his must-have expensive toys!

I'll post some beter pictures of mine once I've completed one or two 'modifications'.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    What else is a Man Den for if not to store his must-have expensive toys!

I'll post some beter pictures of mine once I've completed one or two 'modifications'.

K
    Every time I lokk in my drawer and catch sight of my 5.11 watch with in built ballistic calculator, I swell with pride at yet another quality purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by howa243 View Post
    Every time I lokk in my drawer and catch sight of my 5.11 watch with in built ballistic calculator, I swell with pride at yet another quality purchase.
    Leica have fully considered the needs of the Drawer Queen completes:

K

Hi Guys,
    Wearing a harness over your shirt etc, can make you sweat a lot in Africa. (and sometimes in the UK) You see a few PH's wearing their Binos round their neck, with their left arm through the strap. The bino lives under the left arm till pulled to the front for spying. In the UK it helps keep the binos dry when it rains. If your Bino strap has a sticky rubber patch that goes behind your head, it works better if you turn the strap over. Just an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcher View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Wearing a harness over your shirt etc, can make you sweat a lot in Africa. (and sometimes in the UK) You see a few PH's wearing their Binos round their neck, with their left arm through the strap. The bino lives under the left arm till pulled to the front for spying. In the UK it helps keep the binos dry when it rains. If your Bino strap has a sticky rubber patch that goes behind your head, it works better if you turn the strap over. Just an observation.

Works after a fashion until you get into gravel belly mode.