Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer is here: Swifts have arrived

Summer is here: Swifts have arrived

Well do you believe it, Tuesday was a complete wash out in the South West and 4c on Weds morning. I saw 2 swifts Monday am and last night the were wheeling about above me as I waited to go out shooting. They were hawking flies but surprised as was v cold last night.

I do love seeing swifts, at boarding school they nested under the tiles above the dorm window and their mating flights are a master class in low level formation flying, always seem to be the last to arrive and first to depart.

D

Cyres, Also saw first ones Monday eve, driving through Denchworth on my way stalking. A young roe in the chiller also.

Just seen my first swifts of the year today. The house martins began sprucing up their nest under our eaves last week.

Saw the first House Martin yesterday. I had the front door open and it flew in the house, shat on the floor and flew out again. Cheeky little fecker.

The Swifts arrived here in late April a few days after the swallows which were about 3 weeks late. Still no sign of a Cuckoo, they seem to be getting very scarce. atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    Saw the first House Martin yesterday. I had the front door open and it flew in the house, shat on the floor and flew out again. Cheeky little fecker.

See My first cuckoo of the year last Tuesday evening

No swifts as yet

Atb

​Phil

Saw my first solitary swift a couple of days ago in mid lincs and after 2 years absence I have a pair of turtle doves busily making a nest on the farm next to my house.

They along with the cuckoo were annual visitors but for the last two dreadful summers I haven't seen them at all.

Lets hope its a sign of warmer weather on its way.

i was doing a delivery to a sewage works (yeah nice i know) on wednesday and i saw well over 100 swifts over the filter beds picking off the filter flyies ive never seen so many swifts and in one group in all of them i only saw 1 swallow and 2 housmartins, i alwats used to think that swifts went around in groups of up to 5 or 6?

Seen my first swift tonight walking the dog, always a pleasure to hear them screaming in the air.
    Your a long time dead..GET OUT THERE.