Thread: stovies

stovies

This is just a quick tasty filling meal for any wee scrap bits of venison or even the left over roast.
    Quite plain but veg or other things of choice can be added.

We had this recently using good spuds like keirs pinks, 2 large onions, oil for cooking , good scottish size butter knob, a good seasoning.

Cook a good quantity if spuds cut into quarters in a large pan -soup pan is ideal as you will need the room for mixing into stovies.
    Fry up your onions on a med heat till softish.
    Remove from pan onto a plate ready to add later.
    Add a bit of oil to the same pan and fry off any raw venison until cooked and try to crisp up a wee bit just as you would for a stew, or cut up any left over roast into wee bits and fry off in the oil just to bring out the flavour.
    Once all meat is ready add the onion back in to the same pan add your butter and season to your taste and give it a good mix. Leave this for 20 mins to bring out the juices from the meat.
    Bring meat mix up to the heat and pour over the pan if tatties, using a big spoon or laddle give it a good mix. DO NOT USE A MASHER AS IT WILL BE LIKE SOUP.
    Plate up and place a couple or few oatcakes standing in the middle ......dont forget a well earned dram too.

This is also a meal you can use beef or lamb, the more common is corned beef.

Enjoy!!

Canna beat venison stovies!!!

I do as above but day before do venison cubes for 6-8 hrs in slow cooker , drain of fluid/ cooking fluids and use to boil your tatties next day for stovies & add yer venison from day before also

Serve with dash of brown sauce & a nice cold pint o ale of your choice

Paul

Ps thanks for the original post , havent had stovies for a while, awa to rectify that now

Aaaaah stovies....oil is fine to cook them with, but dripping (especially with the dark bits) makes them heavenly.....

Good to hear the different tips too. I never thought of dripping. Good idea cooking the tatties in the juices too.
    Ive just made mine today ready to serve very soon but this time ive thrown in the deer liver so we shall see how it tastes.
    Our 2 children absolutely love it so its a bonus although its a take it or leave it rule here.
    Sauer - enjoy your stovies

Quote Originally Posted by valmet804 View Post
    This is just a quick tasty filling meal for any wee scrap bits of venison or even the left over roast.
    Quite plain but veg or other things of choice can be added.

We had this recently using good spuds like keirs pinks, 2 large onions, oil for cooking , good scottish size butter knob, a good seasoning.

Cook a good quantity if spuds cut into quarters in a large pan -soup pan is ideal as you will need the room for mixing into stovies.
    Fry up your onions on a med heat till softish.
    Remove from pan onto a plate ready to add later.
    Add a bit of oil to the same pan and fry off any raw venison until cooked and try to crisp up a wee bit just as you would for a stew, or cut up any left over roast into wee bits and fry off in the oil just to bring out the flavour.
    Once all meat is ready add the onion back in to the same pan add your butter and season to your taste and give it a good mix. Leave this for 20 mins to bring out the juices from the meat.
    Bring meat mix up to the heat and pour over the pan if tatties, using a big spoon or laddle give it a good mix. DO NOT USE A MASHER AS IT WILL BE LIKE SOUP.
    Plate up and place a couple or few oatcakes standing in the middle ......dont forget a well earned dram too.

This is also a meal you can use beef or lamb, the more common is corned beef.

Enjoy!!
    Hate to burst your bubble but that is not Stovies doesn't even come close to Stovies .

Stovies are made with square sausage ,there is no oil, dripping and anything close to that ,used in them .
    For the English amongst us mince is the expensive way to make them .

Staple diet for many Scottish families the 40s,50s,and 60s. When things had to be cheap ,cheap .

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    Hate to burst your bubble but that is not Stovies doesn't even come close to Stovies .

Stovies are made with square sausage ,there is no oil, dripping and anything close to that ,used in them .
    For the English amongst us mince is the expensive way to make them .

Staple diet for many Scottish families the 40s,50s,and 60s. When things had to be cheap ,cheap .
    Oh now - this is my version of stovies & i declare its also a scottish version and i love it
    Square sausage in my opinion is defo for farmfoods shoppers
    Im sure my version would be far nicer than the fatty square sausage.

And it will take more than a recipe to burst my stovies bubble.

Thanks for all the recipes ideas . I have been trying to make good Stovies since I was based in Arbroath in the late seventies - - but I have converted my wife - - best known comfort food
    Thanks all
    ​Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Edchef View Post
    Thanks for all the recipes ideas . I have been trying to make good Stovies since I was based in Arbroath in the late seventies - - but I have converted my wife - - best known comfort food
    Thanks all
    ​Ed
    It certainly is comfort food and a healthy one too.
    please let us know your result or have you already had it?
    Thankyou

Totally agree valmet

Stovies it is .......whether its lips& ar*ehole square sausage or venison , I know what I want
    Never thought of dripping either have to give that a go

Stovies I many not have for a while then you do , its a case of over eating and asking yersel why the hell don't I have this more often

Paul
    Last edited by sauer; 17-05-2013 at 21:35.

Paul that certainly made my Friday night.
    Yes i love my stovies but defo the venison type. using dripping next time too....update will follow
    And i know exactly what you mean im as full as a tick....but blinking satisfied.
    cheers steve