RTA cut its throat?

not ideal,depends on circumstances....if thats the quickest most humane way.....i would gofor the atlas joint myself....

If you haven't got a rifle/shotgun/pistol, I'm sure dispatch by Any means available at the time is acceptable.

Only thing you might get pulled up on by plod is "Why did you happen to have a knife with you at the time sir?" if it was an off the cuff affair, ie Not a call out.

unless you have a lot of experiance i wouldnt consider the atlas joint , you may end up looking a bit amaturish ,just my opinion but if the only options are cutting throat or atlas i would opt for the former ,i no atlas is very quick but if your not very competant play it safe !

done correctly yes
so as not to fall fowl if old bill are on hand. i copyed this for you.
Quote:[ basc code of practice ]
1/There may be exceptional circumstances where a firearm is either not available or inappropriate. In these circumstances a knife can be used,provided it is used in such a manner that does not cause unnecessary suffering to the deer. This requires specific training and experience on behalfof the stalker who should adhere to the guidance given below. If a knife is used, then the animal must be dispatched by rapid bleeding. The best method is to cut the throat of the deer below the chin, so that all the soft tissue below the spinal column is separated. Then hinge the head up to allow the carotid and jugular veins to bleed freely. There should be two powerful jets of blood from the carotid arteries and a flow from the jugular veins. the orientation of the blood vessels within the neck of a deer. Cutting these major blood vessels will cause the animal to expire very swiftly from a loss of blood to the brain. The neck of a deer is covered by much loose hair so the most effective approach is to drive the point of the knife into the side of the animal’s neck and cut outwards. In order to carry out this task effectively, the operator needs a sharp knife with a blade at least twelve centimetres (5 inches) long
[from the code of pratice (basc)]

Messy and not quick.

Would be my absolute last choice. I'd rather wait for someone better equipped. Unless the animal was unconscious you could be guilty of casuing unnecessary suffering.

Using a folding knife puts you at risk. You cannot just carry a fixed blade.

Legislation is "any means that does not cause unnecessary suffering" - I was told I could use a golf club as long as it was quick... But if I was still there smashing it's head in 5 minutes later I was open for prosecution on grounds of cruelty to animals. (his point was do whatever but be confident it will be quick!)

In response to your question I shot a fallow multiple times in the head with a 38 last month but eventually stuck its throat and heart in order to switch it off fully! The advice I had from others was a knife in the atlas joint/throat/heart or a shotgun were the two quickest ways to switch them off... for reasons of discretion I use a pistol, but have now got some fit for purpose hollow points.

You can use any method available, including running it over again, or hitting it with a rock, so a knife to the throat would be perfectly fine

unless you have a lot of experiance i wouldnt consider the atlas joint , you may end up looking a bit amaturish ,just my opinion but if the only options are cutting throat or atlas i would opt for the former ,i no atlas is very quick but if your not very competant play it safe !
I have to agree, Atlas joint is preferable, if you are competent & the animal is not too mobile.

Messy and not quick.

Would be my absolute last choice. I'd rather wait for someone better equipped. Unless the animal was unconscious you could be guilty of casuing unnecessary suffering.

Using a folding knife puts you at risk. You cannot just carry a fixed blade.

Agreed, though I used a spyderco uk legal carry folder that actually is designed not to fold on you - it's a fruit knife/work tool for me so usually have it on me unless I'm in town etc... Not an ideal tool as 3" blade but sharp enough to stick just above the sternum and bleed in an emergency.

One of our animal dispatch team had to use a knife on an rta some years ago, he thought because the deer was right up against the motorway flyover that the best and safest way was to use a knife, the highways offices that where present at the incedent reported him to the RSPCA because they didn't like what they saw, HAD gets a knock of the door a few days later say you have been reported coursing unessasey suffering to a animal, it was taken up by BASC or bds and the RSPCA where told it was best practice, case closed.

Golf club, hammer, large stone i suppose could be classed as the concussion method all would work.
Think i would bleed after all the above.
Paul O very kindly has answered my question so yes it is legitimate in the right circumstances.
A certain level of skill is defiantly required to dispatch effectively with a knife only.
having spent 25 years in a abattoir and removed many thousands of heads once a level of proficiency has been achieved a knife is affective to dispatch i know this!!!!
Just wondered if it was legal
Thanks for all the reply’s

Had the dog hold down a couple of injured Roe. On both occasions, both animals were almost rigid, I suspect with shock/fear. Very little movement. :cry:

best practice states a knife to be used through the throat cutting outwards , i have done the atlas joint but my knifes a little thick so have been making one to do this specific job the other night i had a call out and the doe was very badly injured all legs broken and used the method in best practice it was very quick and she didnt struggle at all. I definately wouldnt do that method with a buck,atb wayne

A sharp blade is OK for halal slaughter although the need for stunning remains a big grey area. Surely there couldnt be double standards on that basis.....could there???

I see nothing wrong in using whatever is to hand .biggest problem by far is if there are any onlookers they are often people with no idea and complain at the sight of blood
once neck shot a deer severed its bones comlpleately becouse it twiched for a few seconds someone complained to me.my answer was if brain is disconected it can feel nothing.

Normal bleed point at top of sternum works well and keeps you away from thrashing head and powerful back legs. It takes a very sharp knife to cut through the throat sufficiently. The skin on a Muntjac Buck's neck is extremely thick! I've had a couple of very bad experiences whilst trying to humanely dispatch RTA deer with a knife and would not recommend it at all if possible!!
MS

Back