Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullets Melting

Bullets Melting

I was out foxing with a mate last night. We shot a fox with a 75 grain .243 ballistic tip which was pretty devastating!

Anyway my mate tells me that the core of these bullets melts on firing due to friction making the bullet a copper bottle of molten lead!

Is he talking bull and if he aint how does anyone know?

Look on the Nosler site, ballistic gel can tell you a lot!

I don't know, but my instinct is to call BS on this yarn.

I think the devasating effects of a 75gr .243 bullet on a fox can probably be explained in terms of plain kinetics., unadorned with additional magic or mystery.

Have you asked your mate to calculate the energy transfer required to heat the lead from ambient to melting in the 1/1000 of a second it transits the barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Barkingsnake View Post
    Have you asked your mate to calculate the energy transfer required to heat the lead from ambient to melting in the 1/1000 of a second it transits the barrel?
    No, he's a farmer no a physicist!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    I don't know, but my instinct is to call BS on this yarn.

I think the devasating effects of a 75gr .243 bullet on a fox can probably be explained in terms of plain kinetics., unadorned with additional magic or mystery.
    Exactly my thoughts. Suerly if it were true a soft point would also melt. That would cause the bullet to lose its point and become a hollow point.

some very thin walled bullets have been known to blow up in flight when at max loads , but if a standard bt bullet and core got that hot ! would not the flight change as the core more towards the rear of jacket ! and start to yaw and pitch as its center of gravity moved and i never seen a blob of lead core within a carcass shining .
    could be wrong always learning

BS in my humble opinion

I think someone has been watching either Future weapons on sky, or he thinks he has one of those anti tank/shaped explosive charge thingys.

What a load of coblers. I think he's confusing bullets with shaped charges.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.