Thread: Lurchers!... and more RTA's than Successful stalks this year!!!

Lurchers!... and more RTA's than Successful stalks this year!!!

Had a call out earlier this week (I generally get them at silly oclock or when I'm ill!)... 3 lurchers had chased and pinned a roe buck, the witness had beaten the lurchers off but the buck was now wandering up and down a roadside unable to jump the low sheep fencing into the neighbouring fields.

The witness was good enough to wait for me to get out of bed (4.40pm but I'm ill) and get there - upon arriving she told me the owners of the lurchers (2 townie women) had laughed when their dogs chased the deer and seemed oblivious to the damage they were causing. The witness had then been verbally abused for leaving her two working labs to go and kick the lurchers off the roe buck.

She started leading me towards the area she'd last seen the deer, and we saw it limping towards us along the fence line - hunched over and limping badly. I guessed gut damage and at least one lame leg so grabbed my rifle and the dog and set off after him. He turned when I got within 30 yards and limped off slowly, I stayed the dog and set off alone to get on the other side of him - idea being I could make sure he was definitely done for.

I worked my way in front of his path to stop him getting into a boggy spot, and drive him towards the dog hoping that either I'd get a safe shot into the bank en route or when he got sandwiched between the dog and me he'd stop and allow me to get into a safer shooting position. I managed to turn him and could see he was badly injured and bleeding from several bites. He then simply stopped exhausted, collapsed against a high bank, and stared at me as if he knew what was coming. 243 100gn at 15 yds through the shoulder into the bank and he stilled immediately.

I would have liked to have caught up with the owners of the lurchers and made them deal with the damage - the dogs were just doing what they were bred for but the women were hugely at fault for not controlling their dogs.

Here's the damage the dogs did - front leg bleeding badly and gut-puncturing bite wound. Several bleeding bites on haunches etc but couldn't capture these.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (45).JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	28379

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (49).JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	28380
    p.s. uploading half decent photo's to this site is a real ball ache sometimes!!!

And meant to say I've shot 7 bucks so far this season, but 4 of them have been RTA's!!!

We have a lot of poaching done like that unfortunately.
    Will you report this to the police so they have a record in case it happens again?

Quote Originally Posted by Holland&Holland View Post
    We have a lot of poaching done like that unfortunately.
    Will you report this to the police so they have a record in case it happens again?
    Yes I have to fill in an incident report form as part of the process - not sure what they can do as the lurcher owners left without giving details