Thread: Zeroing aids

Zeroing aids

For some years I have always zeroed off the bonnet of a Mitsubishi Shogun. It was the right height and I never had any problems using a portable rifle rest. However a change of car has meant that the new one is not high enough. Age prevents shooting prone so I was wondering what others use. Is the Idleback chair an option any ideas would be appreciated.

quad sticks help me got the same probs old and stuffed back

Quote Originally Posted by old keeper View Post
    For some years I have always zeroed off the bonnet of a Mitsubishi Shogun. It was the right height and I never had any problems using a portable rifle rest. However a change of car has meant that the new one is not high enough. Age prevents shooting prone so I was wondering what others use. Is the Idleback chair an option any ideas would be appreciated.

Sandbag on the door mirror, then you can sit in comfort to shoot

Neil.

A young under keeper??

Rubbish when old bones syndrome sets in happens to us all, soon be able to get remote control robot to shoot for you yank army already using them they look great watched them on Future weapons on TV

Idlebacks are ok,but I like the look of the "RCBS RASS",have a look on youtube..........

Make yourself a firing step to drop on your towball (if you have one), then go off the roof.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

We have used my 5.00 boot sale Black & Decker work mate a few times, it is a good height and long enough to shoot using a bi-pod and back rest as well.
    Tried the truck bonnet but found them flexing too much and they catch any wind..
    These days I zero off my quad sticks because that is what I use in the field so I must be accurate using them…

Tim.243

I used to use a forklift with a good solid palet + a chair. You can adjsut the height as you wich. Now I use a black&decker workmate on wich I put a piece of wood ( hardboard ) from about 60x80 cm. Under the hardboard I screwed a piece of wood to fix in between the workmate. It makes a good solid field table and the height is O.K.

I have an Idleback that I mainly use for sitting at ride junctions to shoot Muntjac. It is a good piece of kit, weighs 7kgs approx. and has a shoulder strap for carrying. It is very adjustable so should accommodate almost any build of person. If you were to use one for zeroing, then you would need to be able to rest your right arm/elbow against something for complete steady (assuming right handed). They can be used by right or left handers.
    If you get one and use it for sitting out waiting for deer or fox, then get the additional cushion too. With the additional cushion it is ok for a couple of hours but without, it's a bit hard on the bum. I have also found that the cup of the rifle rest squeaks against the wood of my rifle stock so I covered the floor of the rest with fabric cammo tape and that has done the trick. Otherwise it is completely silent in use.
    Whilst I am very pleased with mine for the uses I put it to, I think that the Idleback would be rather expensive, purely for zeroing and there may be better and cheaper options for that single purpose. I hope this helps.