Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: molly bullets

molly bullets

right then guys advice needed I have just opened a box of a box of bullets and shock there molly coated. now I have never used molly bullets and I don't want to so. how can I get this stuff off any idears please

Vibratory tumbler works a treat

I chuck mine in meths when needed when I cock up coating them. Mind you, any old solvent might work.....

Why do you want to take the molly off?

Coz he doesn't want in on,,,

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyEddie View Post
    Why do you want to take the molly off?
    Because the poxy stuff isn't good for the barrel. The Americans discovered this a few years back but as usual we are a few years behind the times and some people have only just discovered this "wonderful" new invention.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Strangely enough, this came up a couple of weeks ago for me.

having only a limited stock of hunting bullets and not wanting to use

all of them up with practice and time at bisely, I went on the hunt for some A-max...

it seams the only stock I could find we're molly coated, so after some investigation I decided to

to get some, but not really wanting the Molly in my barrels, researched the ways to clean them up.

havent received them yet , so haven't tried anything out. I've had numerous answers to the question, from simply tumbling them to using acetone and ammonia,,,!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Because the poxy stuff isn't good for the barrel.
    Do you have any document evidence to support that?
    I've never seen any indication of it although I have read about it's ability react / absorb water and, hence, do it's bit to help rust molybdenum steel barrels unless you clean them after shooting.
    No worries, as I'll feel free to ignore anything until some evidence turns up.

ammonia

Quote Originally Posted by ndt man View Post
    right then guys advice needed I have just opened a box of a box of bullets and shock there molly coated. now I have never used molly bullets and I don't want to so. how can I get this stuff off any idears please
    quote from another site:

"This question has been kicked around quite a bit on the board - you can search the archive files to find a bunch of info.

IMHO - moly can be good/bad, depending on what you want from it. In your case, probably will work pretty well if you are careful with the applications.

No, shooting non-moly bullets in a moly prepped bore is a BAD thing! Don't do it. You'll be depositing coper fouling down on top of the moly and have a real mess on your hands.

If you go to www.brownells.com, they have some good instructions on how to prep a barrel and how to properly coat the bullets. They also sell the products required.

When initially firing moly'd bullets down a prepped bore, you will notice somewhat wild grouping and a velocity loss. After about 40 or so rounds, things start to settle down and the grouping will stabilize. You will have to increase the powder charge to get back to the original velocities.

Once conditioned, the barrel is easier to clean than the original. However, in time lumps will build up in the bore causing erratic grouping and velocities. THEN, the real job begins as you try to remove the moly and other gunk from the bore to restore it to original condition. A reconditioning with the moly prep is again required if you elect to continue with the product.

Personally, I got tired of dealing with the messy stuff that tended to get on everything in the gunroom, had to wear disposable rubber gloves when handling the moly'd bullets, having a tumbler bowl being dedicated to coating the bullets because it was fit for nothing else afterwards, the reconditioning of the bore when buildups occurred (a real chore, believe me).

I'm completely happy now to clean the carbon and copper fouling from the bores and shoot plain ol' jacketed bullets now!"
    Last edited by bewsher500; 21-05-2013 at 07:27.

Never bothered with the "conditioning" but do clean after firing (brush out with standard solvent) and not suffered anything "interesting" I the last 15 years or so.

You can shift moly easily off the tumbler bowl with a bit of kerosene or something similar. DON'T use petrol as it'll melt the plastic...how do I know that!
    I've got a couple of tumbler and use the smaller one for moly but even so the instructions on the stuff I use state you should clear it out of the bowl now and again.