DSC1 Shooting Test - Yards or Metres?

Toxster

Been reading up on this site and elsewhere on the shooting test. The DMQ (whose targets I have printed off) say the test is in yards. Most of the discussion talks of zeroing and shooting in metres...which is a tad confusing.....

I would think that it should be metres (moa adjustments and all that) so any idea what is correct? If it is yards then I want to get the practice correct. As a match shooter I am slightly obsessing on this....:confused:

It's also more of an issue for me as I can only practice on a 25yd (20m) range and am getting jolly confused with the maths required to scale my targets....:confused:

Don't get too bogged down with fine detail. If you work in meters and it is in yards on the day the targets will be a tiny bit closer.

Toxter - you've gone and really blown things up now. The DMQ website does ( as you say ) clearly talk in terms of Yards. Yet the test is in Metres - clear evidence of.... well probably something :D

I'd actually not noticed before - so have flagged it to DMQ.

Why am I convinced its Metres? I have a current batch of shooting assessment marking papers right before me and I quote verbatim -

1. Zero Target
3 shots in a 4" circle from 100m. From a rest or Prone
2. Deer Target
2 shots in deer target killing area from 100m, from a rest or prone
2 shots in deer target killing area from 70m, kneeling or sitting position. Sling and/or stick or bipod if desired.
2 shots in deer target killing area at 40m , standing. 'Free hand' or using a stick

Well spotted.

I know its hard - but really recommend trying to avoid obsessing about any aspect of it - there's no such thing as SLIGHTLY obsessing ;)

Please be metres.....makes the maths so much easier.....

Jimo is correct that if I go for metres then it turns out to be yards, I should be ok. The worry is that I will rehearse the maths for the sights based on the wrong setting...as I'll be using a house rifle this could be irritating. I'll be doing it with Jelen so I guess I could drop them a line as well - esp. regarding the loan rifle.

It's in my nature that I'll be annoyed even if I pass but I drop more than one point per card....

It's in my nature that I'll be annoyed even if I pass but I drop more than one point per card....

Don't worry - if my memory serves me correctly, the scoring is rather more binary than 'points per card', and unless you aim at the margin of the target-area, yards or meters will make no difference anyway.

Last edited:

Jimo is correct that if I go for metres then it turns out to be yards, I should be ok. The worry is that I will rehearse the maths for the sights based on the wrong setting...as I'll be using a house rifle this could be irritating. I'll be doing it with Jelen so I guess I could drop them a line as well - esp. regarding the loan rifle.

Even before the test you've heaped pressure on yourselve by saying you will be annoyed if you drop 1 point per card :confused: You will be using a loan rifle that will be zeored at 100 mtrs, just centre the cross hair on the target and squeeze the trigger no maths needed, on the deer target the heart is your bull :). On the last DSC 1 shooting test I was on a while back a 25yrds match shooter using his own rifle struggled to hit the target due to nerves.

No point scoring, only pass or fail, 100m or yards really makes not a jot of difference , there are no "scoring" rings on a deer. Good luck with your test.atb Tim

Toxster

If using a Jelen rifle on the day, don't worry as it will be zeroed, so you shouldn't have to do much of anything to it. Maybe a click or 2 up/down, left/right, but that should be it. It doesn't matter if it's yards or metres, just shoot what's in front of you and adjust as required.

You get to put rounds downrange on the zero target before tackling the actual test on the deer target, so I'd not worry.

There are no additional points available if you cloverleaf your rounds in the deer target, so just concentrate on where the pencil target area is, and put the rounds into that.

Good luck
iain

Is the expected style to "aim-off" or to click the sights a set number of times when moving to the 70m/yd and 40m/yd targets?

I aimed smack in the middle...! No need to do anything overly clever at those distances as the point is just to prove that you can "hit a cow's *rse with a banjo" :D

Unless your calibre has the trajectory of a brick and/or your scope is mounted waaaay above the bore, the actual variation in impact v aim point is too small to make any practical difference. Dont over think it.

I must have my head on wrong or something. I've printed out the 100m target and it is 4inches across at the outer ring (the 7). As I'll be test shooting at my local range at about 20 metres - I then reduce this to 20% when I print it out which gives a 3/4 inch/2cm target....

That right?

Toxter

Semi in jest, but with edge of serious - more people struggle with the shooting test by over worrying/ thinking it than under.

Jelen will provide you with a rifle that is of known performance and sensible calibre for the job in hand. If your mind is full of 'this is it', '1/4" low at 70, but give it 1/16" right if I can feel wind on my left cheek' etc it will wreck your performance.

I'm a quite humourous guy ( every body agree right now or else.... ) and it helps communicate. I get a few strange looks, but this type of thing I refer to as the 'Lemon Drop Kid Syndrome' - go look it up, but if you cant even remember Bob Hope it will make no sense at all.

None of this is dictatorial or judgemental - so please take in spirit intended. But relax! :D

I must have my head on wrong or something. I've printed out the 100m target and it is 4inches across at the outer ring (the 7). As I'll be test shooting at my local range at about 20 metres - I then reduce this to 20% when I print it out which gives a 3/4 inch/2cm target....

That right?
Yes

......f you cant even remember Bob Hope it will make no sense at all...

LOL - My Hero....King MacaTavish from the Road to Bali - IMHO the funniest joke ever.....referenced by William Boyd in The New Confessions.

I won't go all Lemon Drop Kid, as (ironically) I shoot better under pressure, it's a Match thing.... I do need to understand a thing from all angles though. I'm a learner not a reciter.

Maths... for 100m (or yards!).. Toxter.. you aren't going to need to worry about it at that range... no drop tables, no spin drift... but you may experience a little coriolis effect.. make sure you know what bearing you are shooting at and consult the tables! :stir:
I know some do fail it... Christ knows how!!!! it really isn't difficult.. you will be absolutely fine! :thumb:

Is the expected style to "aim-off" or to click the sights a set number of times when moving to the 70m/yd and 40m/yd targets?

In my experience the expected style is to whack a couple of bullets through the great big scoring-ring-free kill-zone of a carboard roebuck with an elegant minimum of fannying-about.;)

It doesn't sound as though a 4" circle off a bipod will cause you any trouble at all.
However, a bit practising where to hold on the roebuck might pay dividends: and I'd argue for the same point of aim at all the distances.

Also, if you're going to use sticks for the standing and sitting, have a go with those beforehand.

Back