Thread: Grays vs Swarovski spotting scopes

Grays vs Swarovski spotting scopes

Been toying with the idea of a spotting scope for a while and cant decide between the Grays 25 x 50 or Swarovski CTC 30 x 75. I have used both in the past more the Grays though when I was a stalker (provided by the estate and now work else where). Probably looking to buy one later this year. A the moment I think i am leaning more towards the more traditional grays but not 100% sure. looking for a few opinions to help me decide.
    Thanks
    ​Alan

Grays every time - much better balanced than the Swarovski if you using it without a tripod. If you are going Swarovski then I think you would do better with one that is their more normal spotting scope style with a small and lightweight tripod. The CTC is really too short to be used without a tripod, but too long on a tripod. It would also depend on what you are wanting it for. grays is ideal for stalking, but if you are wanting a telescope for watching wildlife you might be better with a tripod mounted scope.

It would be for stalking and spying broods of grouse, pheasants etc without to much disturbance. I have always liked the grays and used it alot in the past. I have used the CTC a few times as a friend has one. But i dont fancy carrying a tripod with me to the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Alankeeper View Post
    It would be for stalking and spying broods of grouse, pheasants etc without to much disturbance. I have always liked the grays and used it alot in the past. I have used the CTC a few times as a friend has one. But i dont fancy carrying a tripod with me to the hills.
    I think you know the answer then!

I couldn't afford a Grays, so went with the Swarovski 30x75 CTC. I like it. I have no problem bracing against the door jam in the vehicle, off my knee when sitting/reclining or against the rifle. This may not always be the case as the years progress and the joints become less bendy mind.

Optics are what you would expect from Swarovski, the larger objective lets through a wee bit more light and the magnification is also greater.

I wouldn't, however go for the standard spotting scope designs for field use as they are very short in comparison to draw scopes, and much harder to stabilise with improvised positions/supports as a result. They are designed for use with tripods, etc.

Wolfie

Just an observation - most sheep hunters you see in videos / magazine articles where spotting is absolutely the name of the game all use spotting scopes mounted on tripods and seem happy carrying them a long way in backpacks, and then also use the tripod as a shooting aid when the time comes if needs be. Some of the carbon ripods are very lightweight now and you really only need it to be usable at sitting height.