Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What on earth is this?

What on earth is this?

I got 3 snaps of this chap on the trail camera. At first I assumed it was a fox but then I noticed the little stump for a tail and the white rump. The next thought is domestic dog and that seems the most likely to me, in fact it is probably all it can possibly be, but it is pitch dark on a night with no moon and about 3 miles from the nearest access, there were no people nor other animals on the camera around this time. In fact I doubt if there have been any people in this area since I dropped the camera off nearly a month ago as the ground is very soft and the only prints I could see were my own.

I've tried to crop the photos so you get as big an image as possible though this does leave the night time shots of the mystery animal a bit grainy.

First a shot of a very poor sika calf in a similar location, just to give an idea of size. As you can see the bad weather has hit the deer hard, though it is shedding its coat as well which makes it look even worse:

Now a shot of a fox in pretty much the same position as the mystery animal. The fox does have 4 legs, it is just that the rear two are lined up and so it looks like only one. In this shot the fox, which I think is a pretty big fox, is in about the same position as the mystery animal:

Now the three shots of the mystery animal cropped so you should get pretty much 100%, though I tried to leave the same grass/rushes in shot as with the fox image just for scale. I'd say it is a bit bigger than the fox. Note the short stumpy tail sticking up in one of the photos and the white rump. Also the ears seem a lot smaller than I'd expect with a fox.

Any ideas?
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

I would go with a tail less fox.?

look at the front legs, have the same dark patch as the daytime fox.

I would go for a tail less fox as well, looks similar build but just minus the tail, it's surprising what these camera's show up, as the previous message said, RSPCA release, as did you ever see the one that was shot with only 3 legs which was another RSPCA Release but which didn't long
    Last edited by WAYNE; 18-05-2013 at 20:38.

Quote Originally Posted by foggy View Post

I'd thought of that, and you may well be right, but the front end looked a bit too well developed for a fox plus the lack of obvious ears put me off that idea. I'm not knocking it however, just giving some idea why I didn't go that way.

This isn't a trick question by the way, I've no idea what it is and only have exactly the same 3 photos as I've posted here.

Ditto with the above a fox .I've shot a few with half a tail and less ,mate said hunts used to doc the tails on released foxs back in the day so as to tell what they were running
    ​norma
    Last edited by norma 308; 18-05-2013 at 20:59.

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    100% its a piecost
    ​It's worth a few quid more than that. Anyhow, even I'm coming around to it being a fox with no tail.

Quote Originally Posted by foggy View Post

Agreed fox with detached tail by the looks of it.