Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukip

Ukip

What would the shooting community expect and wish for from UKIP on Gun Control issues ?

Common sense, it's what I'd like to see from any party, simpler & more exact laws and uniform approach to guidance with exceptions assessed on their merit and handguns once again allowed in some form for sporting purposes, if I want something & can show a need/use for it that should be sufficient not be subject to flo or managers personal views (not that I ever have all bar 1 of those I've encountered have been A1 ) or have silly invented conditions it should be one thing across the country!

I think a simple realization and acceptance that shooting is safe would create a foundation upon which further legislation could be built - at present government policy seems to be based upon the concept that shooting is highly dangerous and unsafe and this drives the direction of the legislation.

As some may recall there was a debate on here a while back about the need for more training and restrictions. I did a FOI request to SNH for details of accidental shootings of members of the public while stalking and instances of food poisoning from venison and they had zero on record. So although they were calling for more training and restrictions there was no evidence of any problem and this call was based on a "group think" position that shooting must be viewed as unsafe, which is simply not supported by the evidence.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by CWMMAN3738 View Post
    Common sense, it's what I'd like to see from any party, simpler & more exact laws and uniform approach to guidance with exceptions assessed on their merit and handguns once again allowed in some form for sporting purposes, if I want something & can show a need/use for it that should be sufficient not be subject to flo or managers personal views (not that I ever have all bar 1 of those I've encountered have been A1 ) or have silly invented conditions it should be one thing across the country!
    +1 Well said. atb Tim

Blog Entries
    Fundamentally I don't care how tight the background checks are but a lot of the restrictions on types of firearm are not logical.

How can anyone with a Deer rifle/ Sniper rifle not be trusted with a .22 target/ dispatch pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthDorset View Post
    Fundamentally I don't care how tight the background checks are but a lot of the restrictions on types of firearm are not logical.

How can anyone with a Deer rifle/ Sniper rifle not be trusted with a .22 target/ dispatch pistol?

What is a sniper rifle?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I would wish them never to be elected to anything where their views on gun control or anything else for that matter is of any importance or relevance to anyone. Unfortunately I do not think my wish will come true :-(

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

Quote Originally Posted by cervus View Post
    What would the shooting community expect and wish for from UKIP on Gun Control issues ?
    On the whole, I would prefer it if shooting sports were not politicised.
    That said, each party (as well as each elected representative) will take a view.
    Given UKIP's core purpose, and given the relative status of shooting wild animals in the UK and rest of the EU, without having read any of UKIP's policies on the issue, it would seem that a more European approach to shooting would be of benefit to UK shooters. Of course, as I said, I haven't read UKIP's policies on this issue, so perhaps (albeit somewhat perversely) that is what they advocate.

To be fair, OP is talking about "gun control" related to but not necessarily the same as "shooting sports" which is what most of the rest of us I guess are primarily interested in.

I, for example, would not like to see the return of handgun ownership for "self defence".

I would also not wish UKIP or any other party, to attack the European agreements which facilitate shooting throughout the EU/EEA.

From what I've heard & seen Farrage has very liberal views on gun control/laws having once said that" an increase in gun ownership is shown to bring a reduction in crime" or something like it using information supplied by some gun ownership lobby.
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    What is a sniper rifle?
    My Remington 700 PSS in .308 is a commonly used Sniper rifle. Your point however is what Finn?
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.