Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any tips from woodland stalkers ?

Any tips from woodland stalkers ?

Hi all , I've got a buck in some really thick woodland coppicing , I keep disturbing him before I get a shot off . I mainly shoot pasture and this is a new challenge to me , whilst enjoyable it's also very frustrating ! This is serious,y thick coppicing , I'm able to get within 50 yards of said buck , but need to be twenty or under to be honest . Any tips appreciated .

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    Hi all , I've got a buck in some really thick woodland coppicing , I keep disturbing him before I get a shot off . I mainly shoot pasture and this is a new challenge to me , whilst enjoyable it's also very frustrating ! This is serious,y thick coppicing , I'm able to get within 50 yards of said buck , but need to be twenty or under to be honest . Any tips appreciated .
    ACM

Check where the wind is, sit back against a tree and wait is the best advice I can give. It'll be movement more than anything that will give you away

GOOD LUCK!

iain
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    ACM

Check where the wind is, sit back against a tree and wait is the best advice I can give. It'll be movement more than anything that will give you away

GOOD LUCK!

iain
    ​thanks Ian , I'm going to give it a go tonight !

Sitting up and waiting for him is your best bet. In woodland he will have the upper hand on you all the time. If you are in position waiting for him to come along you will get your chance but it might still take a while.

​Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    ​thanks Ian , I'm going to give it a go tonight !
    Have you got a long bipod, or sticks that will shorten? I'd have my back against a tree, the rifle sat in my shoulder, with those up front ready for the shot when it comes.

Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs, but make sure you've had a wee, as you might be there a couple of hours and there's nothing worse than the anticipation of a buck on the move, when you're about to wet yourself... :-)
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    Have you got a long bipod, or sticks that will shorten? I'd have my back against a tree, the rifle sat in my shoulder, with those up front ready for the shot when it comes.

Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs, but make sure you've had a wee, as you might be there a couple of hours and there's nothing worse than the anticipation of a buck on the move, when you're about to wet yourself... :-)
    Ha ha I'm a young stalker so this is exactly the sort of thing I wouldn't think of ! Much appreciated!

I guess your problem in thick cover like that is that if you sit up you will probably only have a fairly narrow field of view and so you will be feeling like you are missing something.

If you keep on the move you can cover a lot more ground, but you risk scaring him off.

Perhaps your problem is that you are trying to move too quickly? If you stand for a while and watch and then take a step or two and then stand again you should be able to make quiet progress. At first it will seem far too slow but limit yourself to one or two steps between periods of watching. I guess this is a kind of hybrid between sitting still and stalking but it does mean you are not depending on the buck walking directly in front of you as you will cover more ground than when just sitting.

I've found that a bit of wind helps as it makes some noise and so covers up your movement. Also heavy rain can dampen sound down a bit as well. You need to scan the area in front of you well before making the next move to ensure that he isn't in there somewhere. It seems like a pain doing this scanning every two steps and it will take a long time to cover the ground but in the end you'll eventually spot him before he spots you.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Ha ha I'm a young stalker so this is exactly the sort of thing I wouldn't think of ! Much appreciated!
    You'll think of it more as you get older you'll need to believe me you'll need to .
    Better to have failed again than to have lifted someones leg

Also look for tell tale signs of entry and exit on our land there is well worn paths all around the thick cover, but a gamble on which they use at the time you are there!

+1 on the wind. Makes a massive difference drowning out the noise I seem to make snapping every dried twig thats laying on the ground

Alba gu bràth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under