Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slovakian Roughhaired Pointer

Slovakian Roughhaired Pointer

Anyone else read the article in the Countymans weekly regarding this breed?

I have been interested in this breed for a number of years, ever since seeing them at the CLA.

Do any of the forum members have any experience of actually owning and working them on game as well as deer?

Nice dogs zoldmali hwv kennels have one . Ithink its trained
    If its hit its history / If its missed its a mystery

A gun is always loaded .A mule always kicks

Untrainable !
    Have been around for a few years now.
    ​never heard of a good one !

They are ok left in Slovakia

A good friend has had two and he is a very experienced HPR man. As said above untrainable , hard and headstrong. they work hard, but not for the owner !! a tough cookie to say it politely.Also no breed standard, so they can be very different in looks and temperament within the breed. Most definitely not for a novice handler.
    TO STRIVE, TO SEEK, TO FIND. AND NEVER TO YIELD.

I have an 18 month bitch who is just showing sign of wanting to work now. They are a very strange breed in terms of social behaviour which makes them tricky to handle. Having my German wire haired has helped in terms of her training cause they seem to lack confidence from the start. Mine is fur crazy and at the moment too hard mouthed for handling feather but is still young. She has also been slow to point and when going through the usual breaking off of skylarks and such she took a step backwards and stopped pointing altogether , so we are now just waiting for grouse broods to be ready for counting to get her following up mygerman .

if your interested in one make sure your patient. The bitch I have also took gun shy notions when she was younger, one day she could stand next to you all day while shots were going off and not bat an eyelid the next she wouldn't tolerate a single shot. She is fine now but it would be enough to baffle most.

Every dog is different but the main problem we have in Britain is there is still not enough of the breed in the country to ensure that only quality animals are breed from so in the end up through demand even the worst animals get used for breeding , which results in the breed getting a bad name. In my opinion and experience your safe bet is a German either wire haired or short haired or a Slovak crossed with the right German. Will be lining my bitch but only if she makes the grade and if not she will be getting dressed.

good luck , don't take this for gospel as only my experience .

​All the best, nick

I also understand that they have been inbred quite heavily in the uk and many suffer serious health implications.

Quote Originally Posted by nicklowlander View Post
    I have an 18 month bitch who is just showing sign of wanting to work now. They are a very strange breed in terms of social behaviour which makes them tricky to handle. Having my German wire haired has helped in terms of her training cause they seem to lack confidence from the start. Mine is fur crazy and at the moment too hard mouthed for handling feather but is still young. She has also been slow to point and when going through the usual breaking off of skylarks and such she took a step backwards and stopped pointing altogether , so we are now just waiting for grouse broods to be ready for counting to get her following up mygerman .

if your interested in one make sure your patient. The bitch I have also took gun shy notions when she was younger, one day she could stand next to you all day while shots were going off and not bat an eyelid the next she wouldn't tolerate a single shot. She is fine now but it would be enough to baffle most.

Every dog is different but the main problem we have in Britain is there is still not enough of the breed in the country to ensure that only quality animals are breed from so in the end up through demand even the worst animals get used for breeding , which results in the breed getting a bad name. In my opinion and experience your safe bet is a German either wire haired or short haired or a Slovak crossed with the right German. Will be lining my bitch but only if she makes the grade and if not she will be getting dressed.

good luck , don't take this for gospel as only my experience .

​All the best, nick
    Nick

Many thanks for your reply.

It would seem that the UK dog owners are still divided in their opinions regarding SRP's. I think I'll make some further esquires of those that actually own and work the bred before firming up my opinions. I'm hoping to watch the bred actual work at some point and look forward to hopefully meeting a few owners at this years CLA.

workinghprs.myfastforum.org/forum59 dot php

This where I have picked up info on the health issues. Just be careful that who you speak to is not too blinkered or have pups to sell. As you say try and see them work....you might be waiting a little while.

Sorry I can't post links yet so you will need to fill in the 'bits'

Account Suspended
    I agree those dogs are really hard to train