Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghillies tips.

Ghillies tips.

For those of you that stalk on the hill in Scotland what would you say is the fair going rate for tipping?

JT

In my limited experience.....

Are you paying full whack for the day? If you are assisting as the guest of a friendly stalker or 'keeper for the day and expected to share in the work then perhaps a gift is more appropriate? I have rarely had a bottle of malt refused!

If you are a paying guest then a tip is a gratuity earned reflecting your appreciation and enjoyment of the day.

I would suggest somewhere between 20 and 50 depending on how generous you feel, the quality of the day, the value you feel the stalker added by sharing tips, experiences and anecdotes.

Of course if the day is rubbish, the stalker a boor, no deer in sight far less in shot, then you may want to reflect it in the tip! This incidentally, has never been my experience of a hill stalker who have been unfailingly polite and helpful....although I did walk away from a river Ghillie's outstretched hand once, the ignorant , B*****D! hat's another story though.

Rgds

H

Quote Originally Posted by Herne
    I did walk away from a river Ghillie's outstretched hand once, the ignorant , B*****D! hat's another story though. H
    Don't want to hijack the thread but I'm sure we'd all love to hear the story - perhaps an entry in the Articles section?

25 a buck, 30 - 50 a stag is the usual, some more and occasionally some less.
    A lot of people don't realise that most keepers/stalkers do rely on tips.

Ghillies/pony boys\argo drivers are usually half of what the stalker gets.

Lets see if I got this right BS

If I shot 3 Stags on the Hill and 1 guide 2 pony boys and an Argo driver took them off the hill I would expect to shell out the following:

150 to the guide

75 each to pony boys and Argo driver making a total of

375 in tips for the day

Have I got that right???

If you shot 3 stags in a day then I think a tip pf 120 - 150 would be reasonable, then 20 to the ghillie, few places can afford to have more than 1 ghillie nowadays.

Lets put it into context, how much does a pint cost?

I would much rather see stalkers/keepers paid a decent wage and have them not rely on tips ,but remember this would pass down onto the cost of the days stalking.

I would rather see keepers getting paid 20k a year and not have the humiliation of having to rely on tips , many of which don't materialise.
    This is not he fault of the client, it's down to the employer who still thinks that 14k - 15k a year is a decent wage for a dedicated professional who works unsocial and long hours.

Sorry fo the rant but I've had the ear ache from my wife on a fri night when I've handed a 20 tip for the week[5or6 stags] and she's been holdingout for the money to do the familly shopping and hasn't seen me all week.
    It's a great job but the wages are s**t and most keepers need tips, it ain't the clients fault but they often get the brunt of it!
    This does not give keepers the right to demand , set or ask for tips.

I'll go ad put the kettle on.

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer
    If you shot 3 stags in a day then I think a tip pf 120 - 150 would be reasonable, then 20 to the ghillie, few places can afford to have more than 1 ghillie nowadays.

Lets put it into context, how much does a pint cost?

I would much rather see stalkers/keepers paid a decent wage and have them not rely on tips ,but remember this would pass down onto the cost of the days stalking.

I would rather see keepers getting paid 20k a year and not have the humiliation of having to rely on tips , many of which don't materialise.
    This is not he fault of the client, it's down to the employer who still thinks that 14k - 15k a year is a decent wage for a dedicated professional who works unsocial and long hours.

Sorry fo the rant but I've had the ear ache from my wife on a fri night when I've handed a 20 tip for the week[5or6 stags] and she's been holdingout for the money to do the familly shopping and hasn't seen me all week.
    It's a great job but the wages are s**t and most keepers need tips, it ain't the clients fault but they often get the brunt of it!
    This does not give keepers the right to demand , set or ask for tips.

I'll go ad put the kettle on.

Your rant is perfectly justified and I agree 100%
    Thankfully! , most people are fair when it comes to tipping.

ps, two sugars and milk please !

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer

fully justified in my eyes BS to a point
    RF
    one question
    what would you expect if you had put all your efforts in for no reward or thanks
    yes i know it is their job but,
    how would you feel
    but lets be reasonable about the answer, as i am sure you feel the same as the rest that work all hours to give your whole for no credit
    i know these guys do and gratefull if given a little extra
    some times a bottle is enough others feel cash is a better preference
    myself i am happy to be treated fair and in return reward to that effect

I think it's down to the individual, I used tohave a bunch of Danish joiners come over for a wk at Sika stags , they saved all year for that holiday, personally I would never take cash from them, I'd tell them to take me for a pint on the last night,[tip would've been cheaper!!].
    This freindship is still strong I have been to their kids weddings and one has actually done very well inbuiness and I've been to Africa with him.
    You can't buy freindship.

BS
    i know eactly where you are coming from
    i too took a trip to Africa in exchange for stalking in the uk
    i paid cost price as i know he had to pay to make it happen
    but i was treated liuke a king
    our freindship has never been stronger
    and that was years ago 8)