burris balllistic laser scope

exmarksman9870

Hello, Prob been asked many times and some people say it takes all the skill out or learn to shoot bla bla but i have no probs with that (awaiting MR D ) , but im after one of these scopes to play with as im a bit of a gadget freek haha ,,was in my local gunroom other day and had a look at one but im not sure of the difference in all the models as there is 3 the lad told me that there was a good wright up in gunmart of the model they have in at the moment, so i checked it out,,

Burris Ballistic Laser Scope review | Scopes and Optics Reviews | Gunmart

...,,,im using a S&B 8x56 and im very happy with it and the set up is great, wont be getting rid of the S&B,,, just fancy treating myself so any help or info Pros and cons would be great cheers.....

I know a few blokes with these & haven't heard much in the way of problems as far as them working as promised. The ethics brigade may raise an eyebrow though.

I have an early model one on one of my dart guns. I doubt this use was ever considered in its design & production, but its worth its weight in gold to me for this work.

​Cheers Sharkey

I know of a stalker who uses one to good use and I have seen him use it. Once set up correctly, it is a very accurate tool.

Ethics etc..... Well, if a job needs doing...

A decent scope with target windage, elevation and parallax turrets will be more accurate and just as quick if not quicker to operate, but I have looked at these in the past and often thought it would be fun to have a play with one just to see how accurate they are. If you buy one please right a report.

I know a few blokes with these & haven't heard much in the way of problems as far as them working as promised. The ethics brigade may raise an eyebrow though.

I have an early model one on one of my dart guns. I doubt this use was ever considered in its design & production, but its worth its weight in gold to me for this work.

​Cheers Sharkey

i hadn't even considered dart gun work with one ? does it range well at dart gun distances?

Been thinking about one for over a year so i think i will get one...thing is i just luv the s&b scope so i will keep a hold of it incase im not happy with the burris....well if the price is right i may be tempted.... I would include s&b sunshade and warne mouts, buttler flip ups etc... Just cant decide i think the mk 2 is a better option as the drop works on all mag not just on x 12 like the mk1

i hadn't even considered dart gun work with one ? does it range well at dart gun distances?

The one I have is about 4 years old now & I know they've changed a wee bit, but mine is excellent (fast & accurate) for judging distance between 15 & 60m. No longer having to carry around a separate range finder, but also minimising the extra movement & time involved that is needed with a separate ranger. (I can't remember how many range finders I've set down & forgot about in the heat of the moment. lol)

I'm more confident when I use this scope (thats important when fast decisions are needed) & when every mg of drug has to be accounted for, & when your always being judged on your failures & not your success. Having 10 deer in the trailer instead of 7 at the end of the day would be another good way to describe how much more efficient this scope is.

I havent used these scopes on long range shooting, but several blokes I respect do, & they say good things about them.

​Cheers Sharkey

A decent scope with target windage, elevation and parallax turrets will be more accurate and just as quick if not quicker to operate.

+1

Building a rangefinder into a scope is a good enough idea, but assumes that you're going to be shooting at ranges which are unpredictable, vary considerably, and where bullet drop is significant. If you are, and you need to take your shots quickly, then these scopes can be useful, especially if you are shooting at quite large targets (the spacing between the LEDs in the reticle equates to more than a few clicks on the elevation turret so they're not as precise as dialling in).

They might be handy for culling deer on the hill, which are highly mobile and where close stalks are time-consuming and can prove futile, and they can be handy when lamping wary foxes that won't come in to a call.

Wind still remains a factor, of course, and one that is best addressed with the use of a meter, ballistic tables or software and dialling in or holding off on a reticle... and if you're doing that for wind, you may as well do the same for elevation. The Eliminator III is a bit more capable in this regard, but still rather depends on ready-reckoning.

The one I have is about 4 years old now & I know they've changed a wee bit, but mine is excellent (fast & accurate) for judging distance between 15 & 60m. No longer having to carry around a separate range finder, but also minimising the extra movement & time involved that is needed with a separate ranger. (I can't remember how many range finders I've set down & forgot about in the heat of the moment. lol)

I'm more confident when I use this scope (thats important when fast decisions are needed) & when every mg of drug has to be accounted for, & when your always being judged on your failures & not your success. Having 10 deer in the trailer instead of 7 at the end of the day would be another good way to describe how much more efficient this scope is.

I havent used these scopes on long range shooting, but several blokes I respect do, & they say good things about them.

​Cheers Sharkey

interesting , could be very useful ?

thanks

This might sound daft to some but i dont know why the stuuck a grim reaper on the side :-/ kind of puts me of them.. Mk3 is good bit of kit but who can judge wind 400 yrds down range with out a flag etc...

It looks like the MkII might be better for stalking/ pest controll. As it has a remote activation switch! I do agree with some coments on the idea that a scope set a inch high at 100 is just as usefull. As said wind plays more havock than drop!
The MKIII. Has a wind compensator ret. but it is calibrated to 10mph. So a day on the hill could see you halfing the scope quick. That's when knobs would work good. But if you don't shoot in wind then what a great scope!

I had the mk 2, and it is very quick and easy to use. Just put the cross on the target, press the button, the range appears and the illuminated dot drops down the cross. Put the dot on the target and fire. The whole thing is about a second. It is incredibly accurate, and does exactly what is expected of it. The remote did not work well for me, i prefered the button on the scope. This was a fiddle but i did not like using the remote.

However i sold it and planned to buy a mk 3. The mk 3 magnification and parallax would shoot me better i thought. It is an awesome training scope, and i learned a huge amount using it. However most of what i shoot is 75 - 250 meters distant and this is probably a little narrow a window for the mk 2. The dot only dropped down 4 or 5 pixels, (inches?) and it probably had 30 left. I also use 3 rifles and to use this well i think you need it on all the rifles you use. I now have basically identical scopes on all 3, and that is expensive with the mk 3! With factory ammo it will be superb, but with reloads it takes a lot of fettling, and for me this was an issue. Glass wise it is good. It is not top end, but is more than adequate.

The youtube videos of it in use are accurate, it is a point and press scope to probably 500 meters plus when set correctly. I am not saying i would or could - but it would accurately.

I will certainly get another, i think the mk 3 is good but the reticle looks too cluttered to me, and i think a mk 2 with more mag and parallax and none of the windage guessing would suit me better, it makes the whole thing complex and solves a problem i dont have.

Thanks dave can i ask what are your thoughts on the glass compared to a s&b im using... Early morn sun ...dusk etc. I think the mk2 would be my choice and i have found them for 600....

It is not a swarovski, that is for sure, and the mk 2 is a smaller objective lense, so will not be as good. but the difference is minimal, and was not one of the reasons i sold mine.

I had the mk 2, and it is very quick and easy to use. Just put the cross on the target, press the button, the range appears and the illuminated dot drops down the cross. Put the dot on the target and fire. The whole thing is about a second. It is incredibly accurate, and does exactly what is expected of it. The remote did not work well for me, i prefered the button on the scope. This was a fiddle but i did not like using the remote.

However i sold it and planned to buy a mk 3. The mk 3 magnification and parallax would shoot me better i thought. It is an awesome training scope, and i learned a huge amount using it. However most of what i shoot is 75 - 250 meters distant and this is probably a little narrow a window for the mk 2. The dot only dropped down 4 or 5 pixels, (inches?) and it probably had 30 left. I also use 3 rifles and to use this well i think you need it on all the rifles you use. I now have basically identical scopes on all 3, and that is expensive with the mk 3! With factory ammo it will be superb, but with reloads it takes a lot of fettling, and for me this was an issue. Glass wise it is good. It is not top end, but is more than adequate.

The youtube videos of it in use are accurate, it is a point and press scope to probably 500 meters plus when set correctly. I am not saying i would or could - but it would accurately.

I will certainly get another, i think the mk 3 is good but the reticle looks too cluttered to me, and i think a mk 2 with more mag and parallax and none of the windage guessing would suit me better, it makes the whole thing complex and solves a problem i dont have.

Interesting that you had problems With the remote switch. Was it a mounting issue? Or just function?

I am the happy buyer of diverdave's Mark.II version

I'd used the Mk.1 in New Zealand on an AR15 - the Mark.II is a much better unit as far as I'm concerned

exmarksman9870 - you are welcome to have a look if you are ever near Haddington, no charge, though I may get you to fetch your Cam rifle so I can have a look at that in the flesh ;)

Back