Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unexpected Roebuck

Unexpected Roebuck

I'd heard Muntjac barking in some woods that I shoot whilst walking the dogs last Friday evening and had seen fresh slots after the recent rain so decided to take out the rifle and see what was about - kitted out very lightly. I set up overlooking a depression at the edge of the wood where I'd seen the slots. Within 20 mins this buck appeared through the trees and stayed there for a while checking out the area. He then slowly walked out onto the field with a couple of does and started grazing. Most unexpected as the local Roe do not usually inhabit this area, although there are plenty of Muntjac.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buck.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	527.3 KB 
ID:	28472
    He was in good condition and had quite a good head.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Head Side.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	519.1 KB 
ID:	28473 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Head Front.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	527.7 KB 
ID:	28474
    Unfortunately, I was only kitted out to deal with Muntjac - the 3/4 mile uphill walk back home was a bit of an epic and I'm aching a bit today. Moral of the story - expect the unexpected!

Cracking head on him mate. Well done
    If at first you don't succeed, reload

Well done nice buck there

Congratulations!
    ​Nice head.....!
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

Cheers all for the comments on the head; I've had a few which say that it might make a medal. I thought the individual antlers might lack the symmetry for that. Any advice would be welcome as I've never submitted one for measuring before.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Cheers all for the comments on the head; I've had a few which say that it might make a medal. I thought the individual antlers might lack the symmetry for that. Any advice would be welcome as I've never submitted one for measuring before.
    Nice buck!
    My first thoughts were that it's possibly a bronze
    Symmetry is not that important when measuring Roe antlers, (only up to 3 CIC points reserved for regularity I think).....it's all about weight and volume to be honest. Don't cut the skull at all, just boil it out whole (minus lower jaw) and then weigh it. It will lose weight until it's dried properly and after 90 days you can submit it to CIC for a proper measure. No charge unless it makes a medal.
    If you weigh it the day after you boil it you should have a good idea if it'll make a medal or not. If it weighs at least 500+ grammes wet it has a good chance as it should lose about 10% I think.
    What do each of the antlers measure in length?
    Last edited by Buckaroo8; 20-05-2013 at 13:55.

The antlers measure 26.5 cm left and 25.5 cm right with a span of 15.5 cm from the tip of the shortest. Looking at the measuring formula this looks quite good.

I bet that'll go Bronze easy. But as mentioned, don't cut the scull.
    ATB
    Paul

Congrats...

excellent,well done