Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: which scope?

  1. #1

    which scope?

    Hi Gents

    Never bought a scope before so looking for some advice and sorry if this has been done to death.
    The three scopes im considering are:-

    Leupold VX-R 3-9X50
    Nikon Monarch 2.5x10 X50
    and the Ziess 3-12X50

    Now which of these three would be the better option for foxing and deer so low light performance i guess is the main factor or am i wrong? it will be mounted on a .243 Howa.
    D

  2. #2
    buy zeiss, swaro or S&B, all are the best you'll get, great glass, great customer service and will last numerous lifetimes.

    don't sway from this list, and do not discount a 2nd hand fixed 6x42 or 8x56, even 4x32. they are amazing scopes and there's nothing for most stalking or varminiting you need a variable for.

    better spend your money on a decent 2nd hand fixed mag scope than a poor quality new variable. any day.
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

  3. #3
    Theres a S&B Zennith in the classified optics section for a good price wish i held off a duralyt friday.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by pietasvenatores View Post
    buy zeiss, swaro or S&B, all are the best you'll get, great glass, great customer service and will last numerous lifetimes.

    don't sway from this list, and do not discount a 2nd hand fixed 6x42 or 8x56, even 4x32. they are amazing scopes and there's nothing for most stalking or varminiting you need a variable for.

    better spend your money on a decent 2nd hand fixed mag scope than a poor quality new variable. any day.
    The perfect answer A+

  5. #5
    thanks Splash, very kind of you to say!

    to the OP, I would look for a 1" tube as well, 26mm or 30mm can be a right pain to find mounts/rings for, for some rifles, and you may not have the Howa for many years, but scopes tend to keep their original owners,,or at least the good ones do!
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

  6. #6
    Cheers Guys

    Had kinda swayed towards the Ziess.
    Will have a scout through the classifieds.
    D

  7. #7
    Although lesser magnification is adequate in many situations and of course a variable gives you options; in terms of pure light gathering ability, I don't think you can better an 8x56 with a 30mm tube.

    my Swarovski 4-12x50 with 25mm tube (z3 so not top spec) loses around 20 minutes to my old Swarovski 8x56.

    Just be honest with yourself about what and when you're going to shoot and buy accordingly.
    My friend (he's on here so might read this ) has not been able to shoot at foxes he could see with his eyes on the last few occasions because his Redfield 42mm scope is rubbish!!!!!!! So annoying!!!!!!!!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosshair243 View Post
    My Swarovski 4-12x50 with 25mm tube (z3 so not top spec) loses around 20 minutes to my old Swarovski 8x56.


    6mm smaller objective aside that’s truly disturbing as it will have nothing to do with the 1" tube which leaves but the difference in lens quality and/or their configuration??

    K

  9. #9
    Mint Swaro 8 x 56 for sale in classifieds now if you're interested ? Perfect low light scope.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post


    6mm smaller objective aside that’s truly disturbing as it will have nothing to do with the 1" tube which leaves but the difference in lens quality and/or their configuration??

    K
    More alarming is my 3-9x32 Swaro AV3 gives nothing away to my Zeiss classic divari 2.5-10x50 when both are set for the same ocular exit size.

    Neil.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-03-2013, 19:00
  2. *SOLD* Leather satchel style draw scope and rifle scope cases
    By stalker.308 in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-07-2012, 20:13
  3. For Sale Swarovski, binos and scope, opticron sppoting scope
    By twg1 in forum Optics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 18-07-2012, 22:59
  4. For Sale EAW (Apel) - Zeiss Rail System Scope Mounts (scope side)
    By bewsher500 in forum Optics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-04-2012, 19:43
  5. Scope mounts v single piece scope mount
    By Simjim33 in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 18:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •