Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice about a ZKK601 .243 rifle I'm looking at please

Advice about a ZKK601 .243 rifle I'm looking at please

Hi chaps,
    I'm going to look at a Brno ZKK601 .243 rifle on Wed with mounts and a scope (unknown make as yet) and was wondering if there's anything specific I should look out for/avoid.

It's apparantly in mint condition and the asking price is £300. It's not screwcut which I would like doing and the gunsmith who has the rifle said he'd sort that for me (possibly as part of the deal),

Cheers

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

great choice! I love BRNO ZKK's! have a look at the 30-06 on here I have for sale and you will get an idea what can be done to them.

check:
    1. the crown, but if threading, you should get it re-crowned anyway
    2. condition of the bore up to a light looking from the muzzle, there should be no wild pitting and clear rifling all the way through, if too worn at the muzzle, have it cut down prior to threading, but the barrels are usually good on these rifles
    3. ask to have the stock taken off, inspect if someone has attempted a free floating job, there should be a pressure point in the front of the barrel
    4. check the recoil lug recess if the wood is cracked or compressed, if so it may need bedding
    5. check the bolt face for pitting
    6. look into the chamber area, sometimes there can be some flaking or cracking on ZKKs in there, make sure it looks clean and tidy, may need a lamp
    7. check the screwheads on the action, if completely marred it could be a sign of overtightening or stock issues, or just bad habits from a previous owner, you can buy new ones from JPN Gunsprings.
    8. check the stock for cracks everywhere and internally
    9. check the safety works, also when bumped and knocked about a bit
    10. check the trigger pull and that it's smooth, even though it can be adjusted
    11. be aware you may get one with a single set trigger, it can be used set or unset, finding a replacement can be very difficult - check gunbroker, the change is easy. it might come with a standard trigger blade and bolt disasembly tool too, in a little green bag.
    12. check the extractor claw front is in decent shape, ask to cycle a round and check it loads ok from the magazine stack and ejects propertly too, don't fire and let a round off in the gunshop, they don't like that.

there's more, but that's a start
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

Thanks mate, I did see yours for sale and I now have a spare slot for a 30-06, unfortunately I don't have the funds to match!!!

stratts what did you finally do with the bsa mate,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Bought mine a few years ago now and it was the best buy I've ever made, owes me nothing that rifle. Bought my son on last year and he's very pleased, very accurate rifle.

I have seen a bunch with terrible triggers that after a lot of work were just ok. Although they are adjustable that does not mean to match quality and unfortunately they have a unique trigger an no one makes a good replacement.

SS

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Hi chaps,
    I'm going to look at a Brno ZKK601 .243 rifle on Wed with mounts and a scope (unknown make as yet) and was wondering if there's anything specific I should look out for/avoid.

It's apparantly in mint condition and the asking price is £300. It's not screwcut which I would like doing and the gunsmith who has the rifle said he'd sort that for me (possibly as part of the deal),

Cheers

Stratts
    My first deer rifle was a 601 and it was fine but, the scope is going to have to be pretty good to make this package worth £300.

Stratts I bought a Zkk601 deluxe in .308 with a standard trigger and deluxe walnut stock. Its very accurate and a pleasure to own.
    Sportsmatch do cheapish mounts for them or Warne QR's if your a bit flush, I have both and the sportsmatch are currently in use with an edgar brothers 8x56 optimate scope in them.
    I personally dont like set triggers however some folk swear by them so only you'll be able to determine if its for you.
    When had mine threaded and match crowned it cost me £50 (Cheshire gun room, very good job too) but I did leave the foresight which I should have kept (yes I should have had the foresight )
    At £300 its not much over the odds for something that will last you many many years.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Spoke to him tday and he doesn't know what scope etc it is until it arrives tmoro. I won't rush in though,

​Cheers

Mines a Great gun, never missed a beat, loves 100g Norma's, these guns were built for work, I don,t use it in set trigger all the time, it will last you a lifetime at a quarter of the price of some rifles