Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First shot from a cold barrel or grouping?

First shot from a cold barrel or grouping?

Hi All

As an admission, I'm still pretty new to stalking, but have been around firearms for 30-odd years. Most of that has been centrefire and rimfire target shooting, the sole purpose of which is to score V-Bulls at distances out to 1200yds, so in essence it's actually about being able to group rounds.

So, to my point; There are ton of posts/threads/comments on how a rifle does (or generally doesn't) group, but as I'm yet to group on live quarry, this is what I'm trying to achieve with my set up...

This was the first round, from a cold barrel, at 100 yds:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SST 150513.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	28484

At this stage I packed up, had a coffee and a natter, collected my target and came home. This wasn't me being clever but:
    1. If I can do this every time, then I'm a happy camper as the deer will drop into its shadow
    2. I'm a tight sod, and see no point in wasting ammo

This thread isn't an "aren't I clever", or to raise "no, you're a kn*b" comments, but to understand what others think...

Cheers
    iain
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Completely agree, why continue until you make a silly mistake to knock your confidence, you have to trust the rifle in the field on the first shot so why do different on the range.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

You are obviously confident enough in your ability and your kit to know that your POI was your POA and not a just a coincidence. I wouldn't be recommending this to the inexperienced though! Curiosity always gets the better of me. Can I repeat it? After all you may need a second or a third shot when out on deer not just on the range.

It's a fair point.
    If you've done a lot of target shooting then I suppose you've got less to get out of a session on a target anyway.
    I just love pulling the trigger and if I've gone to the effort of putting one up, it's fun to have a play.

It also depends on how you felt when you broke the shot, if you felt rubbish on that one shot like you'd pulled it and then it his dead centre, curiosity would make you wonder what really happened

if you've got the technique to break the perfect shot first time, then it only takes one shot to zero a rifle anyway

​I've often wondered about this. Why check zero with a warm barrel when my first (and probably, only) shot of the day will be with a cold one?Similarly, I know people who insist on putting a "fouling round" through the barrel before shooting an animal, claiming that this must be done or else the bullet will strike several inches from the POA.
    Personally, I like to keep my rifles clean and cold, with the confidence that I can land a bullet where I aim.

I Farticus - the only thing I would do differently to you, is after the cup of coffee and chat - put another round down the range, then go off and have another coffee and a chat - put a third round down the range. Probably a bit more social that way. Some would even go so far as say push a patch through, but thats getting bit anal. I would also check to see if different shooting positions made a difference to point of impact - say off a bipod, standing etc. It probably does, but probably not enough to worry about within normal hunting ranges.

I would with a new rifle shoot a few groups rapidly - what I want to know is where does shot 2, 3 or 4 go if I have to take quick follow up shots or taking out a calf with a hind. 2nd shot should n't make a difference, but on some light barreled rifles and combination guns it does.

MTPW!

I don't see any piont to groups of under a inch in a stalking/hunting rifle. Really what does it prove?
    If you can put the first shot In a circle 1" wide. Repeat for five shots every time when the barrel is cold. Job done!!!!!,

Quote Originally Posted by Simjim33 View Post
    MTPW!

I don't see any piont to groups of under a inch in a stalking/hunting rifle. Really what does it prove?
    If you can put the first shot In a circle 1" wide. Repeat for five shots every time when the barrel is cold. Job done!!!!!,
    MTPW? Or am I being a bit thick - nothing new, so please make allowances
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

There are variables involved here... My .22lr target rifle hadn't been cleaned in years when I received it. It would shoot a flyer (or three) from cold. I now clean it after every session (c.50 rounds) and I noticed that as it became gradually cleaner it would put out less "cold barrel" flyers. Now that it is settled and I have a cleaning routine, it shoots pretty much perfect from round one - perhaps a mm out.

Iain

It's not where I would want my cold bore shot, or subsequent shots to go. I'd like three shots fired in quick succession to group at 1 inch high at 100yds. Keep in mind that roe deer don't stand side on at 100yds waiting for you in good light with no wind. Secondly, there may be more than one buck in the group. Thirdly, some roe deer are not very big with larder weights of <8kg.

As a rule of thumb, whatever group size you shoot in practice, it will double in size under field conditions.

Regards JCS